Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Texas Bass Symposiom Waco, Nov 5-7 2004

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ben Rose, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Edgar Meyer will be performing and conducting a master class on Nov 6th, at the Texas Double Bass Symposium in Waco. The Symposium takes place from Nov 5th - 7th.

Yee Haw Y'all

2. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    thanks for the heads up. see ya there. Kip

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yee Haw indeed!

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    It was fun. I met a guy taking lessons with David Neubert who asked if I was the Johnny L guy, but I didn't ask who his handle here was. Nice guy in a shopping mood. But there were probably other people there that post here, and I thought I'd offer my experiences and see where the thread can go from there.

I didn't spend too much time making noises on the always wonderful, beautifully well set up, and expensive (for me anyway) Robertson basses this time around, though I did try to get some scale practice in a little. My bent endpin has spoiled me, and I'd forgotten what the bass feels like vertically. I don't even like playing it vertically anymore. Having weight on the thumb just makes shifting a pain in the ass and I didn't feel like trying to get comfortable with the straight endpin again, so I hung around in the classes more in hopes of picking something new up. I forgot all about Karr's Amati bass on display until I saw Jeff Bradetich mention it when he was having fun playing it in his master class. Whittaker's class was nice too when he played the opera excerpts, especially with using thumb position below the harmonic to execute some of the faster Handel lines...but I didn't make it in time to get his handout and forgot to harass anyone about getting a copy later on. Seaton's bass line class was cool too.

Meyer, of course, rocked the dots. There were kids there that did stuff he recorded at his master class, which was gutsy and also where Meyer seemed to open up the most for in offering advice and info. There was another kid there that did the Dittersdorf just really, really well, with unusually great intonation to my ears. Never heard it before, so it was a treat for me.

Dang, Edgar has his bass so high up, reaching over on his tiptoes during the concert...well, like he said, I guess it all comes down to results, and since he gets them there's not much I can say that offers value to anyone but me to get the results I want, so I won't say it. Some of it may have been show, I don't know. The guy plays spectacularly in tune so much. To trade lines and harmonize with an oboe in his own concerto, being in the highest registers ...man, that's killer.

At any rate, it was lots of fun, I learned lots from the people participating in the master classes.

5. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    A high point from the humour perspective was watching Edgar's stance with the bent-endpin bass in his masterclass. Take comfort in knowing that EM has is as uncomfortable with a bent endpin as you are with a straight endpin. Of course, that's about the only place one can take comfort when being compared to him.. :rolleyes: Perhaps it's best not to go down that road :D

6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah, that was funny. I suppose we all wish he had played more during the masterclass (the entire class! LOL), but the concert was great and I'll certainly take what I got.

edit: I snooped your profile...if you were one who was working on the Bach stuff you sounded great too...good luck with the Bach expedition!

...or the Elegy...

7. JTbass

JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    man i for got about the convention. ive only been once like 4 years ago or something. i used to live in lubbock and i took lessons from Paul sharpe for a couple of years, who was a major influence on my technique(i think hes the beez neez). did any of y'all see him there i assume he did something? i havent talked to him in like 3 years or something. anyway im disapointed i wasnt on the ball cause waco is not that far from austin and i would have love to have gone. anyway i just wondered if paul did anything cool or if you guys saw him there.

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Nope, not me. I wish I could handle the Bach stuff. Ah well. Won't be long.