1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Texas Bassist Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mjolnir, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Yeah. Cool front here followed by rain. Like they say if you don't like the weather today wait till tomorrow.

chupacerveza likes this.
  2. SassyS

SassyS

Jul 24, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Howdy and welcome!

#242- chupacerveza

chupacerveza likes this.
  3. TexasThunder

TexasThunder Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    Howdy from New Braunfels!

chupacerveza likes this.
  4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Those of us of a certain age in and of the Austin scene will recall the Back Room, which was on Riverside at roughly Pleasant Valley. Someone made a documentary about it - not out yet but here's the trailer.

The music the Back Room was known for is not in my fairway, but I lived two blocks away from it during my sophomore year at UT and saw a few non-hard rock shows there. It's actually described in the Level 42 Bio book as a "small club outside of Dallas" that was the last gig they played before their original lineup broke up. I was at that show, right in front.

Anyway, a fun thing for any of us who recall the Back Room fondly.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  5. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Right. Sort of like the Agora Ballroom here in Houston. Legendary venues have an extended shelf-life a lot of us have great memories.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  6. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    For me, in Houston that was the Satellite Lounge.

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    For the record Austin is outside of Dallas. I'll go along with the geography.

8. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    That was my thought too when I read it. It wasn’t really wrong and figure what the perception of a British band might have been when they’d never been anywhere in the US beyond New York. Nobody knew about Austin in 1987, when that show was.

Killing Floor likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The further away you are the less you are aware that Texas is the center point of the galaxy.

ceerod and Miles_ONeal like this.
  10. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Such a shame- squeeze out by Zwirek's Star Pizza. Between those two and Rockefellers that was a very busy street corner. There are still some good venues in Houston what Warehouse Live,. Hard Rock, Concert Pub . But the music scene has changed substantially. Played at some ran sound at others. But covid has changed the landscape leaving a few survivors and others hoping to build again.

11. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep, Rockefellers was on my Houston list too. Saw some nuts Ian Moore shows at both of them in the 90s.

chupacerveza and bassmike2010 like this.

12. Sigged.

13. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    It's been a windy month! I think the worst I've ridden my bicycle in was 17-30mph winds, but there was one evening it was gusting to 45 or more.

14. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Ditto.

Stu L. and 5StringBlues like this.
  15. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Anyone near San Antonio's Sam Ash store? They have a cabinet im interested in.

Raz

16. daddymactx

daddymactx Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Wyn Basses, Curt Mangan Strings, Fireye,
    Well Ill be darned ... Learn something new everyday!!! Been a member of TB since 2006 and 1st time I'm seeing the Texas Bassist Club!!! what the.... I should've been like in the 1st 10 or close!!!! LOL!!! Holla from San Antonio!!

17. daddymactx

Jan 2, 2006
    Texas
    Yes. 10 min away What cab??

18. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Henry the 8x8 - much appreciated!!

From the pics on Reverb it appears there’s cloth behind the grille so I can’t see the drivers. And the previous owner replaced a 1/4” jack with a Speakon, which is fine, just something I noticed.

My only concern is that all the drivers work. I tried calling them today to see if I could get someone to do the 9v test on it and confirm they’re all good.

Raz

chupacerveza likes this.
  19. daddymactx

Jan 2, 2006
    Texas
    PMd you

5StringBlues and Miles_ONeal like this.
  20. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Just want to give a special shout out to @daddymactx who went to Sam Ash for me. Thanks again mate!! I'm going to send them an offer and see what happens. Peace! :thumbsup:

Raz

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021