Texas Bassist Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mjolnir, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    That's because you're trying to keep the tablet lower on the stand. I keep mine where I can read it when I need it. A lot more inconspicuous than a huge silver iPad which I've seen people using for years. Or a big black music stand. Or sheets of paper lying all over the stage. Don't worry about the photographer or what anyone thinks. You're the one getting paid.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  2. SassyS

SassyS

Jul 24, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Cool pic! :bassist:
    Here is your membership number, if you would like one:

#251- donhank

chupacerveza likes this.
  3. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    I gotta admit, I'm the "sheets of paper" dude. Probably just below my foot in my profile pic.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  4. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    I used to be the "set list- taped to the back of the mains/ various lead vocal lyrics on the monitor 'till memorized" guy. With 20 or so tunes I had to memorize it was ever evolving.
    That and running PA...

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Miles_ONeal and Rich67 like this.
  5. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. Jumping from guitar to bass a few years back involved joining a punk band that did originals. Until I was part of the songwriting process for songs moving forward, I had to keep note sheets on the floor for their originals that pre-dated me...

bassmike2010 likes this.
  6. NorthTexasBass

NorthTexasBass Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Small world Don, I was the bass player in the band that played before you guys that night. Looks like I'll see you again on 7/17.

7. donhank

donhank Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Denton, TX
    Hey there Wes . . . enjoyed meeting you and hearing your show. (especially that kinda/sorta reggae tune about 2/3 of the way thru your set !) Is your avatar taken from the new picture on your band's facebook page ?

NorthTexasBass likes this.
  8. NorthTexasBass

NorthTexasBass Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    It's actually from a show we played there in February.

9. Hello all, been on TB for a couple of years and just found this club. Born in Austin and raised in South Texas RGV area. Moved up to DFW back in 2011 and currently reside in Mesquite. I'd been primarily a guitar guy for most of my years playing. I got into bass more full time a few years ago. Just a bedroom musician I guess you'd say. I have never been on a stage or gigged. I have had friends that I jammed with and still occasionally get together with when I'm in that area. Music has been a getaway for me since I was younger. I taught myself how to repair and assemble my own instruments as many of you also do and have made some great instruments over the years. I also record some of my stuff, ideas and what not in my modest "studio" area. LOL I would like to find people in my area that would like to get together, jam and trade ideas, tips and just enjoy fellow musicians now that it is becoming safer to do so. Have enjoyed being a member here on TB and look forward to getting to know more of you guys, and lets not forget the amazing ladies that also play in person. Thank you and hoe to hear from anyone that just appreciates music.

10. SassyS

SassyS

Jul 24, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Hi Texas_Jazzman75, welcome to the club! There are lots of great people here that love music, so you will be in good company. :)

Here is your number:
    #252- Texas_Jazzman75

chupacerveza and Miles_ONeal like this.
  11. Thanks, I appreciate that. Look forward to getting to know a lot of you.

chupacerveza and Miles_ONeal like this.
  12. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Are things picking up in the Houston area? All my kids are finally out of high school and I am ready to gig again. I come with a rhythm guitarist. Not a total package deal, but we have been jamming for years.

Miles_ONeal likes this.

13. As far as I know, Ronnie is still doing speaker repair and recones as "Allen Speaker Reconing" on 19th Street. I should go by there, it's been awhile!

Hoss had retired about ten years ago from amp repair but I'd always see him at the shop when I'd go by, but even that was 5 or so years back.

Ronnie was in a band in the 70's called the Tel-stars. Do any of you guys remember the old bands that would play the old dancehalls, like The Barons, Jeff and the Kickers, The Tel-stars, Gaylen Ackley and the Goodtimes?

Were any of you guys in those bands, or other bands that played those small-town dances?

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  14. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Ronnie has done many recone kits for me.
    Both PA and bass drivers. Even "built"
    a set of 8ohm JBL Neo 15's for my bass
    cab in the event I blow the Eminence Delta's.
    Which I've yet to accomplish. No nonsense guy and if he says a pig is a dog, you can bank on it. Very busy- call ahead. Haven't
    talked since the plandemic, but if he's anything like my guitar tech or amp repair guy, he's busier than a one- legged man.
    Far as the bands mentioned, no idea.

5StringBlues likes this.
  15. skycruiser

skycruiser Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    Anyone using Kerry's Guitar shop these days? I'm planning to take my new jazz bass neck there to have the nut cut this week, plus a setup.

16. Finally playing our first show post-Covid at a distillery in Pflugerville on Saturday. The last show we played was also the one where our guitarist fell ill immediately after and was diagnosed with cancer. He has since beat it. Needless to say we are super excited to finally be in front of a crowd again. Feels so long ago...

chupacerveza, wazzel, Rich67 and 4 others like this.
  17. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Yeeeehaaaaahhhh!!!

Nuage420, Craig T Vector and Rich67 like this.
  18. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Soooo.... How hard will it be to get plugged back into the Houston musician network. I have not looked for people in so long I do not know what the best resources are. Any help would be appreciated.

19. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Just set up somewhere like a grassy spot in the middle of the I69/610 interchange. Play to the traffic with a big sign saying "Bassist available". You'll end up on the local news and everyone will know your name!

20. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Haha, 290 and the beltway (8) would be closer to home.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021