Texas Bassist Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mjolnir, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Facebook, Craigslist, Open Mic nights. No substitute for doing the legwork.

2. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Are there particular sites on those? Got no problem doing the leg work, just don’t know where to start.

3. Ronnie really is amazing. He can carry on a deep conversation while doing speaker work and never miss a step.

Can't recommend him enough.

I can't help much on "open mics" but there is a blues jam at 1810 Ojeman ( club name and address) on Sundays 8-12 in Spring Branch. Another jam night is Thursdays at the Nomad Club on Bingle and it's more of an open jam, not limited to blues.

Maybe not the best networking resources but somewhere to go play anyway.:bassist:

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  4. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Whatever works!

Nuage420 likes this.
  5. 51PMAC21

51PMAC21

Jun 4, 2021
    West Texas - Sanderson native thru school, then did Austin (Cedar Park) 80-85 and back to
    Alpine Tx before a few years in California
    Currently in RVA (Richmond, Va) since 2011.
    but..Tejas will always be home to this Vaquero.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  6. TexasThunder

TexasThunder Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    Howdy from New Braunfels!

7. DaDo625

DaDo625 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Many great memories of Sanderson and Ft. Stockton from doing the Big Bend Open Road Race (www.bborr.com) for six years... wonderful people - though it did look different after "No Country for Old Men" came out...

Miles_ONeal and Nuage420 like this.
  8. SassyS

SassyS

Jul 24, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Welcome! Since you've called Texas home before, you can have a number if you would like one:

#253- 51PMAC21

Rich67, Miles_ONeal and Nuage420 like this.
  9. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I've been wanting to do the bborr for so long. I had a car set up for it but work took priority and then I ended up selling the car. I'll catch it one year.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  10. 51PMAC21

51PMAC21

Jun 4, 2021
    Diggin' it! Gracias

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  11. DaDo625

Sep 4, 2017
    The very short version - I was the replacement navigator for a long time friend, who is also a long time guitar player - who I turned to for advice 5 years ago when I decided I wanted to "try the bass". He gave me some great advice (get a teacher, Rumble 25, tuner, cable and a bass that was set up correctly) then he called me back an hour later and said "I have this bass in the closet that I bought off a guy that I used to play with in the 80s, come by the office tomorrow and pick it up"

A mint perfect, with case candy, 1976 Gibson Grabber...

Phone call to first lesson in 36 hours..

As soon as I realized what it was worth I brought it back and bought my own bass.

And BBORR - 1st place in GT 120MPH in 2006, 3rd place in GT 130MPH in 2008..

Need to go load up for Band Practice...

12. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Wow! I would have maybe worked out a payment or lay away for that grabber, what a good guy. Me and some buddies were setting up for the 2017 bborr. I had a 2012 Mitsubishi Evo X for the street rod class. I think it would have been capable of GT speeds based on... some test drives that may or may not have happened on various TX highways. my biggest issue was going to be fuel consumption as I was running E85 and my math said I was absolutely not going to make that distance on a full tank at those speeds. I think I'll go with a rwd american platform this time around.

DaDo625 likes this.
  13. DaDo625

Sep 4, 2017
    The Grabber was part of his pretty amazing collection of 60's and 70's Fenders and Gibson's - so I did not even ask(put him on the spot).

The run is 58 miles each way, there is fuel in Sanderson - I was always shocked at how low the fuel burn was.
    Our helmets said "O+ Please"

And once you have done it - it's addicting.
    Once you have won your class...you can at least check that off the bucket list.
    2005 we were 0.616 seconds from perfect time, and that got us 7th place...after 118 miles, 4500ft of elevation change and 122 turns...
    .3 seconds separated 1st from 7th...
    the next year we won by being 0.33 seconds from perfect.
    For scale - at 120MPH .3 seconds is 52'-8' give or take...
    it's kinda competitive...

14. Nuage420

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Win or lose I love high performance driving/riding.
    I'm a naughty boy and did not run my bikes and cars on tracks for many years... I've thankfully matured and am making the appropriate moves towards safer and legal thrills. I've stopped playing (aside from semi spirited drives through canyons or back roads) on public roads, now I just need the stars to align for me to be available for some racing events. I am unfortunately leaving TX for GA soon to be a drill sergeant for a few years and that will definitely not leave much time for track days. My most realistic opportunities will be an autocross.

DaDo625 and Miles_ONeal like this.
  15. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    75 miles SE of Tyler.....
    75 miles S of Longview....
    140 miles N of Houston.....
    160 miles SSE of Dallas.....
    from DEEP in the Piney Woods of East Texas....

waving-Texas-flag.gif

.....Greetings from Nacogdoches!

(I don't need no steenkin' nomber!), but I'm just proud to be here!

16. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    My wife got her bachelors and masters degrees from SFA. I just want a shirt that says “I sleep with a Lumberjack” :D

17. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Yup.....there's SFA, a constant-name-changing paper mill, and Tyson Chicken. That's Nacogdoches
    in a nutshell! It IS however (as Frank Zappa was known to say) "A Nice Place to Raise Your Kids"!

18. Let's go on over to Frelsburg and ride the escalators.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  19. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    There is a place off 290 and Jones that does an open mic on Thursdays, trying to clear up my schedule to make it. Got my old spot back with the Christ the Redeemer contemporary choir. Should be good and keep me playing regular. Still would like to find a non-church based group to play with.

20. The Spot club over around the Dacoma/Mangum area just started a jam on Sundays, 4 to 8.

Big Easy on Kirby Drive starts their blues jam back up in August.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021