Texas Bassist Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mjolnir, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    A&M certainly ain't the cheapest, though it's DEFINITELY not the most expensive.

You've got Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin University up north 'round the Huntsville area, some 2 hours north of Houston, you've got U of H in downtown Houston that's a nice enough place for not so much... UT actually isn't bad, that's down in Austin... Avoid Rice like the plague, it costs more than Harvard... Baylor in Waco would also be one to avoid if you like to actually have money...

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    For marketing/business, I'd look at UT-Austin. They university's main business school is there. And you can get gigs, too! ;) They don't pay worth a dang, but you can play out plenty.

UT-SA is very strong for medical fields, but do think about UT-Austin for business. Nothing wrong with UT-SA, but...just sayin'...I worked at UT-Austin for 17 year. :)

What country are you coming over from? There are lots of student associations focusing on their home country/culture, etc. Might help make the transition easier for you. :)

Austin is pretty cosmopolitan, really. Lots of people from all over live in this area.

Cherie :bassist:

3. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    DURH!!! I asked you "what country" w/o really reading. Check out UT's Middle Eastern student groups. They have more than one. They're all pretty active with different things on campus.

Cherie :)

4. Much more so than College Station, with A&M. That's where I grew up. It's a great place if you want to join the military, though... ;)

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Or get an education. :)

6. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I love both places. I did grad school in College Station, but it's always great to visit or gig in Austin.

7. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    when i was living in waco i was going to Baylor, where i got a masters in drinking, then i moved on to Mclennan Community College, still in Waco, where i studdied commercial music - performance. Granted it is a CC but i learned a lot from Dick Gimble there.

8. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Nice! :)

9. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Waco...I remember Waco...I lived in Hewitt for a long while...Did some good partying in Waco :cool:

funkybassplayer likes this.
  10. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Right on. THere was definatly some good partying in Waco.

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Ahh..the Baptists. They can party!

funkybassplayer likes this.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

What about me? I spent 37 of my 41 years in Texas, and was born and raised there.

Left last June, though, probably for good this time.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Well see then, that means you need the Texas Bassist Emeritus club. I'm sure they're around here somewhere. :p

Seriously, though, why did you move away?

14. Whoo! Did everyone enjoy that nice Texas weather yesterday? It got up to about 82 degrees where I live.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah. This winter has been brutal. I almost had to wear long pants yesterday.

For anyone NOT living in DFW that was said so tongue-in-cheek that my tongue might push all the way through. Our weather varies ridiculously Just a couple of days ago it was in the 20's and then yesterday it got up to a new record high.

I am seeing waaaaaay too many respiratory cases at work because of the wild shifts in temperature and humidity. The pollen and molds and what-have-you all varies based on the weather, so everyone is just horribly sick because of it.

16. funkybassplayer

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Hell yeah. It was about that temp here in East Texas too. But it is supposed to be in the 30's tomorrow night apparently. Gotta love that Texas weather.

17. drgregn

drgregn Granddude

May 13, 2002
    North of DFW, TX
    'nother Texas bassist here... PM'ed for my number! I live in Denton (home of the UNT 1 o'clock Lab Band!) and play mostly for church, occasional outside gigs, looking for an old guy cover band, tho...

Proud owner of Texas Bass Club #41 now...

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Same here. I've worn my winter sweater exactly once this year. And we're not getting any rain. We'll have a day or two of fog and drizzle, but no real, good rain.

The air is full of pollen and mold and dust. Dust, dust, dust. Clouds of it. It seems that West Texas is just blowing over here on the wind. I can dust the furniture on Saturday, and by Monday, the house looks like I haven't touched it in weeks.

I remember my Aunt Mel telling me stories about living in the Panhandle during the Dustbowl. How they had to clean piles of dust and sand from the windowsills every day, inches deep, and how the dust would foul windmills and vehicles. I sure hope we don't see that again! Nasty.

Wishing for rain...

Cherie

19. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Is Dick Gimble related to Johnny Gimble, the swing player? I worked with Johnny's grandson John at the Circuit City there in Waco almost 8 years ago. Man, that made me feel old :meh:

20. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Dick Gimble is Johnny's son. Helluva bass and guitar player.

~John