Texas Double Bass Symposium

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Johnny L, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Anyone here planning on attending the Texas Double Bass Symposium this weekend?

My teacher encouraged me to go and enjoy the experience, so I'll be there. Never been to one of these things yet though.

Any advice to share on maximizing the fun and experience? I've already been told to bring some kind of recording device (audio or video) to capture as much as possible.
  2. robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    I just missed it. I was in Houston for a week (World Space Congress), and just got back. As a side note, while I was there I tried to find a place to rent or borrow a bass to practice at my hotel, but came up flat. None of the shops I called had anything or rented for less than 1 month. One shop would have rented me a slab for a daily rate that would have exceeded $200 in a week.

I went to Rice University one evening and tracked down the number for the main bass instructor (professor). Unfortunately, he couldn't loan me anything either. I was hoping to find a sympathetic person to let me practice an hour or so a night in one of the many rehearsal rooms.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Maybe someone has found a better way to locate a practice bass during business trips.

Have a great time at the bass symposium.
  3. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Mr. L - I sent you a PM about the event.
  4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    For those who may enjoy reading about my experience at the Texas Double Bass Symposium this weekend:

What a great experience it was! The chance to see all the wonderfully talented folks who have dedicated their time to the double bass, coupled with the words and performances by David Neubert, Jeff Bradetich, Paul Ellison, Lynn Seaton, Jeffry Eckels, etc. There's nothing like the education one gets by seeing great performances by great musicians. I only made audio recordings of the master classes and performances I attended.

A few folks were in line for the angled-endpin surgery to basses that would play themselves if you didn't keep an eye on them, and it was great to see that. The luthiers that were present were also very kind with setup information and repair tips specific to my personal concerns. All their basses play so easily, and I had no trouble vibrating any note I felt like vibrating. They had great setups and great basses that did not deserve my attention (maybe tomorrow...).

The teachers I enjoyed hearing from the most were the ones that related issues in practical terms, a trait I admire and aspire to. Paul Ellison doesn't appear worried at all about holding his German bow overhand-style to articulate passages (though he did not do so during his two awesome performances) and makes no secret of his limitations and efforts to avoid them, not to mention his strengths. His words and performances were my favorite.

I learned so much that I can't decide how to spend my time with the bass today, and I hope those of you who also attended got as much as I did. Today's rut is unbelievable over!