1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Texas Rangers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by TroyK, Oct 22, 2010.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    39 years. My dad took me to the inaugural season and we saw a game together every year since then until he passed away. He watched the games on TV, with the sound off and the radio on, because he liked the radio coverage better. If we were away from TV and weren't at the park, he had a transistor radio with an ear piece. He knew who we had in the minors and how they were developing. He believed every spring and had his heart broken every summer. Still watched every all star game and world series because he loved baseball.

He hit me grounders on his lunch break in his t-shirt and suit pants and ate a sandwich on his way back to the office.

He missed seeing the Rangers win an AL Pennant by just a few years. I love you dad, all is well in the world tonight.

2. Great story man... Congrats to the Rangers! So glad they're in instead of the Yankees. Was sad to see Cliff leave Seattle, but at least he's with a winner.

Good luck in the Series!

3. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Thanks for sharing Troy. You wouldn't by chance have read a book called "The Brothers K?"

Go Rangers!

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yea man. I love baseball stories. I'm very amazed at them this year.

They've got the stones to run the distance this year. Absent my favorite Ohio teams I go for the big underdog every time.

Giants Rangers series, Rangers in 6.

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Great story Troy - thanks!

And here I thought I was the only one pulling for the Rangers or even watching. I should have known better. ;)

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys, still wearing my heart in my throat and still flying the Texas flag in front of my house in Seattle (though when my hipster neighbor said "it's really cool of you to be flying that flag for the Chilean minors", I said "why, yes, that is cool of me.")

When Del gets up from his nap, I'm taking him downtown and buying him a cap. Should have done that before now, shame on me. And I guess I'm going to have to get my TV fixed, though my other neighbor's basement is NICE!

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    As a life-long Red Sox fan, I know that story well.

Go Rangers. Go Dads. Who sucks?

8. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I don't have TV, but I have the MLB.com audio package. Radio broadcasts of every game all year. Growing up I followed the Yanks on my little transistor radio and never 100% adjusted to TV. I think your Dad was pretty darn smart.

I'm a, as I like to say, baseball fan first Yankee fan second. If not the Yanks, I go NL. In my dreams, all pitchers hit.

:D

Rangers are great, and Cliff Lee is about as scary as it gets. 2 great teams in the NL. My prediction? Some good ballgames.

Rock on.

9. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I've been listening to the games on my wife's 1941 Crosley tube radio, which is just pretty magical, but I went to my neighbor's last night and saw it in HiDef and started trying to get my TV fixed today. If I can't, then I'll have to be extra nice to my neighbor or claim a bar stool down on the corner.

Agree with you about the NL and that abomination of a quasi-position, the DH. But, obviously, I'm attached this time around.

I consider myself a Seattlite now and would be very happy to see the Mariners go as well, but the team you grow up with is the team you grew up with.

Attached Files:

10. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Wow Troy, I can't think of a better way to experience the World Series (nice call Phil!) than on Kirsten's Crosley. I'd love to come down for a game! ;)
    I was hoping to make it down for the Hot Rize/Red Knuckles and the Trailblazers show on Friday night at Benaroya Hall but I don't think I can do it - bummer.

Of course I'm watching the games in HD on my flat screen but that's partly because the local station that's carrying the MLB sometimes preempts it for BC Lions football.
    I just wish they wouldn't buy the rights if they aren't going to use them...:(

11. T40Chump

T40Chump

Jul 12, 2008
    Plano, TX
    What a great story; both yours and the Ranger's. I wish them well and am very proud of them. It's like a dream, but real at the same time. Can't put it into words.

12. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Wow, beautiful radio!

So it's all set now; Rangers - Giants. Kind of throwback style out there in San Fran, kinda "1963 Dodgers"-ish. Hella great pitching and just enough run production to make it stick. Hope it's Lee-Lincecum for game 1!

By the way, how appropos was it that A-rod struck out for the final out? Texas sank to the bottom for years mostly because of his ridonkulous salary. I wish somebody else in the league wanted him (or could afford him!)...

13. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    No no no - New York is the perfect place for A-Rod! He still seemed kinda human when he was with the Mariners but the swelling head seems to have pinched off the blood supply to the better parts of his brain. :(

Its very interesting to look at the salary figures given here: http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries/_/name/nyy/new-york-yankees The relief pitchers used most often by Girardi (Logan, Hughes, Robertson) are making less that $500,000 each...

Lincecum/Lee could be a 2 hour game! I'll be watching. :D

14. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    A Giants fan looking for an interesting and fun series!

Wally

15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I think it's great that the Giants and Rangers are in the WS. I'm sick of the Yankees/Phillies et al.
    Unfortunately Bud Selig may have the lowest TV ratings for a WS in History

16. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The ALCS ratings were higher than they had been in years if that's any indication.

As for media markets, DFW is #5 and San Fransisco is #6, which is nothing to sneeze at.

17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Good! I hope it does well

18. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I want 7 games.

19. You and Keitel in "the Bad Lieutenant"!

20. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    So do I with the Giants winning at home!

Wally