1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Texting While Driving Ban

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Mar 10, 2010.

1. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I say we just make separate roads for those who like to text while they drive and let natural selection sort this one out.

2. What about shaving?

3. That should depend on how it turns out :ninja:

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I don't drive nearly as much as I used to lately and just over the last two weeks some guy in a huge 4-wheel drive pickup truck almost hit me while he was texting (I could see him holding the phone way out in front of the windshield) and 2 different women almost hit me while talking on the phone. A while back, some girl almost killed me while she was talking on the phone and she was completely in my lane. I swerved at the last second to avoid being wiped out and she looked at me as if I did something wrong. It's bad enough that people don't know how to use turn signals anyway but I have noticed that more and more since they have one hand on the phone and one hand on the steering wheel that they don't even bother with hitting the turn signal indicator.

5. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    it's safer to hold a phone to your ear & talk while driving w/ one hand than texting with 2 hands while steering w/ your knee. I think.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    For it to be effective it's going to have to be enforced and will need to include some element of license suspension. Maybe a 1 week suspension for first time, bit longer for repeaters.

7. I think it's safer to run w/one pair of scissors than w/two.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Gawd...if only there were a a more efficient way to communicate than this primitive thumb-typing. Maybe they could invent a box that you can talk into and could send your voice to someone else's box :p

9. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Do you have statistics to back this up? :p

10. You said *box*

11. I did, but when I fell w/two pair, I poked out both of my eyes & now I can't find the paperwork. I've slowed way down though & am 1/2 off the actual *road* as it were...

12. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    ^
    Well played, sir.

13. Who said that? Who's there?!?

+ +
    <
    ===

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Both texting & talking (without a hands free device) have been banned in Ca for over a year. No one has stopped doing either. Fines for being ticketed are less than fines for speeding.

15. I don't understand the texting thing. Eveyone in my family has unlimited plans, why not just call?? Instead, everyone texts, sometimes, even between rooms in our house :rollno: If I get a text, I return it with a phone call.......If I return it at all. If I could two thumb type as fast as my kids, I might feel differently :mad:

16. Here in NJ, talking on a cell phone while driving is now a primary offence (ie the cops can stop you and ticket you just for that, rather than catching you doing something else wrong first that is a primary offense) and a $200 first fine, more for second and third offenses. Still hasn't stopped very many people from doing it. Shame, as there are studies that say 'distracted driving' is just as dangerous, maybe more dangerous, than driving drunk.

17. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Does that include hands-free phone calls?

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I hear ya! I've always felt it was a big step backwards technology-wise...but then again, I am closing in on "old fart" status. :p

19. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    More useless legislation. There's already a law that covers this and it's usually worded as "reckless driving". If a cop sees a guy driving in an unsafe manner, it doesn't matter if he's texting, talking on the phone, shaving his nads, changing CD's, or just that he's a bad driver. The cop should give him a ticket and he has the authority to do so BEFORE this dumb law.

The more laws, the more offenders.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020