1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Textures" by H.Hancock/ You kids get off my lawn.

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Don Kasper, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I sketched this tune up a few decades ago, because I heard it and thought it was beautiful.(Herbie was "flamed" by the Jazz Police back in 1980 when it was released. He composed the tune and sequenced all the instrumental parts.) I wanted to see if I could try and uncover and understand some of what made it beautiful and why I liked it so much.
    I hope the younger generation doesn't skip the struggle (and it was a struggle for me) to explore and transcribe music that may not exist yet/ever in the digital realm, or, will they have to depend on others' "ears", to do the heavy lifting/listening. (I read in a recent post here at TB that someone has "over 2500" tunes on their iPad-thingy - all downloaded from fake books.)
    Sorry -the "chart" below is just a sloppy work-sketch...but it reveals a lot.
    Finally - someday listen to what HH was creating in the years 1960... 1970... 1980...etc. Genius.
    (I wonder if the title "Chameleon" was autobiographical?)
    Thanks.

IMG_3528(1).JPG IMG_3530(1).JPG

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If he had just done that tune solo on piano we'd probably all be playing it today :roflmao:

Nice melody, interesting changes.

Don Kasper likes this.
  3. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ Emeritus (Certified Gear Junkie) Retired??? Supporting Member

Don,

I see a bunch of lines and dots. Is this supposed to mean something to me? (Hey, not all of us got to study with JB. Even though I was his 'understudy' when he was, like, 16).

PS I don't know if I ever told you this, but the group I was in with Manfredo Fest was the warm up act for Herbie when he played the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis in his 'Headhunter' days. And, yes, I did study briefly with Koussevitzky (OK, maybe that last part isn't exactly 'accurate').

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Don Kasper likes this.
  4. Don Kasper

I just ignore the lines and dots, and just play 4 chromatic quarter notes in each bar!

5. rickwolff

That's what I did last night on Girl From Ipanema. So this is different how?

Don Kasper likes this.
  6. A.C. Jobim has (immediately) left the building ...

rickwolff and Tom Lane like this.
  7. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Same tune... different name. Audience no wiser!

rickwolff likes this.
  8. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Hmm... feels more like the girl with emphysema.

9. rickwolff

Or the girl from Iwo Jima.

DrayMiles and Tom Lane like this.
  10. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think we're going to have to start a TB pun bucket. Anyone who makes a bad pun has to contribute a buck. Kasper will be broke in months!

11. Don Kasper

But.. but...my puns are always GOOD!
    Aren't they?

DrayMiles and Tom Lane like this.
  12. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    dear lord yes ^^^this

13. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    ...and is tossing his cookies in the alley behind. Just like he does whenever I play.

14. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Nov 4, 2013
    Scotland
    PVG Membership
    I literally posted two minutes ago in a transcription thread about refusing to slow down transcriptions and putting the heavy listening in, and I'm the ripe old age of 29.
    I still use pencil and paper to write them out, I find that process to be rather therapeutic. Seeing a handwritten chart like that just looks good to me. It might not be practical for a sight reading gig but never the less it is more aesthetically pleasing.

Don Kasper likes this.
  15. Don Kasper

I hear ya...
    The chart is just a byproduct of the process of struggling/learning/hearing/writing/deciding... I do believe that "something" is lost when the transcription process becomes too easy or (soon) becomes Artificially Intelligently animated.
    The chart is just a facsimile of the knowledge, it is not the (deep) knowledge itself - that belongs ONLY to the Transcriber. IMFO.
    I'm rambling...
    Thanks for your interest, BrotherMister.