Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TF550 vs TF420...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Templar, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Firstly, I did do a search here on Thunderfunk amps, and read a LOT of great posts. I'm going with a TF amp, but not sure which one yet.

Has anyone compared the 420 to the 550?

Any reason not to cough up an extra $150 for the TF550?

Any preferences at all?

TIA

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    A few deals have 420's left but DAve only has 550's.

The 550 has 100w more power, 2 speakon outs (instead of 1) and voltage selctor in the back to be able to run it in Europe, Asia, Australia , etc...

That said, if you are running only one cab and not planning on a world tour anytime soon, save yourself the extra $100 and get the ear racks and a nice case for it.

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I can't fathom a reason not to go ahead and spring for the extra 100 watts. But hey, that's just me.

4. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I found a couple sites showing some 420's, although Bass Central told me today that they're no longer a TF dealer.

5. I would suggest the newer 550 amp with the switch. Dave is constantly refining and improving the design (as he has mentioned here) and the newe 550's are the beneficiarys of that work. I could not be happier with my latest 550!!

Peace,

T

6. "The switch" is only available on the 550, so that may be a deciding factor for you.

I just received a new 550, and I am quite pleased with it so far.

7. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I own the 550 with the switch, and it's well worth the extra $100

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I got my 420 before the 550 came out, I would go for the 550 if I as buying now.......in fact I will probably still get the 550 and have the 420 as backup. I love the 420, and it has served me very well since I got it

9. Spend the extra 100 and get the switch and the latest version of the amp! The new ones are dead quiet and the switch, while subtle, really makes a difference... especially if you like a bright, woundround stainless steel string sound.