Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TFB550 + Tri210L just arrived

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trilobeat, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Today I played this combination for the first time and ,guys, THIS IS SOMETHING !!! (well, you probably know it:)) I owned Peavey, Laney and GK, played tons of others and none of them is comparable to this. Maybe GK wasn't bad in combination with my Jurkovic Stingray, but still couple of miles behind the Thunderfunk. Thunderfunk is the purest hifi for bass. Both Jurkovic basses I have (the second one is J-Bass) sound beautiful, the rig keeps the different character of each instrument, the sound is punchy, clear, focused, full, ... any attribute you would add to the PERFECT SOUND. Many thanks go to Dave !!! I guess I am the only person in the Czech Republic playing this rig and I am so proud of it :)

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Congrats! Sounds like a great rig. Any pics?

3. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, let's see some pics. That sounds like a wonderful setup. I've been giving the 550s the eye lately as well.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mmmm, pics. I've been looking at the 550 as well.. I'm looking for full thumpy low end for a start. But i'd like something that can get a bit growly and cut through nicely as well.. Not sure if this head to could do the second part of that..

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    A lot of that can depend on you and your bass. The growl with my MTD 635 is very serious.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, well i use a MM Sterling.. So it's usually punchy, not as full and punchy as a Ray, but it's pretty good. I'm just wondering if i boost the bass on this head if it will give me a nice full sounding thump together with my bass.

7. TFB550 doesn't look different from tfb420, just one more switch on the front panel and one more speakon connector and voltage switch on the back panel. I will provide some photos as soon as I get my camera from repair (tomorrow).

2 popinfresh: IMHO, this setup is what you are looking for, I have custom made copy of Stingray and it makes it all.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Before I'd boost anything on the TF's EQ I'd simply turn the gains up to whatever level I needed and see what happens. I think you'll be surprised. Even using dozens of basses, I've yet to need to boost the bass control on the amp.

9. Here is the picture of my current setup

Attached Files:

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Excellent!

No go play it!! :)

11. Oh, man.. I envy your floor.. :p
    Also new things..

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Sorry, i missed that bit. Thanks man! I think the thunderfunks the go. I'm playing in an old school hard rock influenced band (Zep/Sabbath sounding) so as long as it holds the low with the Mesa 1516 and can cut through, i'l be happy.. Also, importing one is easy (voltage switch) and it ends up cheaper than a GK 700/1001!