Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tGHT STRNG SPACNG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMFender, Oct 1, 2004.

1. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    tİGHT STRİNG SPACİNG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY QUESTİON İS:
    I got a Marcus Miller Jazz bazz 4 string.
    I am planning to buy a 5.
    Fender Jazz deluxe 5 has a wide string spacing.
    If i buy a bass with tighter string spacing that i love i may not be able to slap comfortably (but i can play faster lines) and getting used to it will make me stop loving my fender 4.
    What should i choose as a 5 er ? Smth close to my Fender 4 ?

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    A better question is, what font are you using that dots your upper-case I's?

Fender MM's are great basses with, in my opinion, great slap tone. If you buy a 5'er with tighter spacing for faster lines, you can rotate basses depending on your needs. Besides, I don't think having one nice bass will make you stop appreciating another. If you think you need a 5'er, get one. The Fender MM will still be there for you to use whenever you want.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Well, there might be truth to loosing interest in an old bass. I know I get excited about a new axe, and play it almost exclusively for the next 4 or 5 months. But then I always come back around, and play the old gear too.

4. My Yamaha TRB6 has wide string spacing, and my Conklin GT7 (converted to 8-string) has a very narrow spacing. They are both different and I like playing them both. The Conklin is quite slappable although the Yamaha is much more comfortable for that, but the Yamaha's spacing means fingerstyle is less rapid.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have become more compatable, with wider spacing.
    My fav is 20mm, but now I play nothing less than 19mm.
    Play what you like.
    That's why we own more than one bass.
    More Gas please?

6. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey man, i personally would go with something with a similar feel... unless you dont think you will be sensitive to the change.. i play a 75 re-issue jazz bass and a mexican fretless... the scale is a tiny bit different.. but i notice it ALOT... i personally like to keep the feel consistent... if you dont think it would bother you then by all means... but just make sure you are comfortable making the change when you need too.

7. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    thank u guys
    i ll check marcus miller like 5 string