TH 500 Gain Control

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shishka Bob, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    In another thread a poster made the following interesting statement about Aguilar's Tone Hammer 500: "Keep the GAIN control off ...it's really a combined hpf & lpf". I never knew this. Is it so?

2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I actually responded in that thread Shishka Bob. I'll repeat here but the way I described it is that, to me, the GAIN controls the amount of effect that the DRIVE has on altering the lows and highs - if that makes sense. It tightens the lows and smoothes out the highs. I'm sure some others here will have a better description than mine though.

3. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    Thanks, Johnbass. It is an interesting issue and I thought it would be a good topic in and of itself.

johnpbass likes this.
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Agreed, it is an interesting issue for sure. I've seen some other threads on the subject, but always useful to have a "refresher course", IMO.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    If you're interested, there was a mega thread here that showed how folks ran the eq's on their TH500's. I learned quite a bit while reading it.

I have to say, for me there was a bit of a learning curve to find sounds I was looking for. I'm glad I stuck with it, and found that mega thread.

I love the sounds I'm able to get with mine. Very *tube-like*

johnpbass, rodl2005 and Shishka Bob like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022