TH350 or Little Mark II ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anton72, Dec 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gentelmen, I would like to know your opinion... I have a choice between Aguilar TH350 and Markbass LMII to run with a single Markbass NY604 cabinet @ 8 Ohm. Which of the two may get louder? I know that TH350 is rated 350 vs 500 of LMII but they say TH350 has actualy 500 W power section. Anybody tried both with that cabs? NY604 is 4x6" 600 Watt RMS, very mid-focused sounding. I have another option of buying MarkBass JeffBerlin 15" combo but I'm still hesitating on 15" driver. Thanks for your input!

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I think you'll only get 300 watts out of the LM II at 8 ohms but I could be wrong there. I have a Jeff Berlin that I couple with an Aguilar GS112 and I think it sounds fantastic. If you can, take you cab to wherever the Jeff Berlin is and see what you think. Is there something about a 15 that you don't like?

staurosjohn likes this.
  3. This is exactly my idea. I have a good choice of Markbass gear in a local dealer's shop so I can try both. I tend to lean towards Markbass LM over TH because I prefer plug and play amps which is Markbass well known for. I never liked 15" before I actually tried JB combo, quite articulate and punchy IMO. What I like abput NY604 cab is that it sounds very "fast" which I believe is better for rehearsal area rather than any 15" which needs more space to actually hear the tone, but I may be wrong...

4. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I think something to think about is how much of a baked-in tone you want in your amp. I've found that MarkBass amps are fairly flat sounding which can be a very good thing because you can always balance it out to find your tone. That being said, I have zero issues with the backed-in tone that brands like Aguilar and Ampeg are known for. They just sound killer in my opinion. Luckily for me, the MarkBass heads have the VPF filter which with a little tweaking can start to mimic a clean Aguilar or Ampeg sound if you decide you want that sound too.

swamp_bass likes this.
  5. Exactly the same thing with VPF and VLE filters. I find them very handy so I even never touch the EQ knobs. I think that flat sound is better for me as all my basses have 3 band onboard preamps so I prefer to tweak my tones with onboard pre's rather than the EQ on my amps. Regarding 15" I'm a bit warried of being lost in the mix due to less punch.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    You are correct, the LM II puts out 500 watts @ 4 Ohms.

I used to own a LM II, and a F1 after that, now I have a Tone Hammer 500. I find the preamp in the Aguilar more useful to me EQ-wise, and it offers a lot of variation from clean to mean that I could never get from the MarkBass amps. I think the Tone Hammer 350 will drive the NY604 just fine.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I'd expect the pairing would be more about the tonal match than the wattage ratings. I've never gigged the NY604, but it has a rep for being deeper than you'd expect but treble attenuated. So I'd expect that the LMII's ability to dial in upper mid and high-frequency detail would make the cab seem louder on the gig. But how satisfying the pairing is will depend on your tone goals and how sort of sonic space your bandmates leave you in the mix.

IOW, while I'd *expect* to prefer the LMII w/ that cab, you've got to try 'em to know.

swamp_bass likes this.
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

TH350: Power Output: 350 watts into 4 ohms, 175 watts into 8 ohms

9. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    I just picked up a couple MB 151HR cabs... the 15" drivers are pretty tight (I was hoping for that) - so the Berlin combo might give you what you're looking for. I 'normally' use 12's (MB & Aguilar) - but wanted a bit more room presence.

anton72 likes this.
  10. Great! Thank you for your insight. I will be testing three combinations tomorrow: LMIII + my NY604 cab, LMIII + CMD121 cab, Jeff Berlin 15" combo. And will report the results here.

staurosjohn likes this.
  11. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Nice... I would really love to get ahold of a coupla NY604 or NY804 cabs... they're discontinued & hard to find...
    heres my current crew: (actually just sold/shipped my Big Bang off to a fellow TB'er in Russia)
    image.jpeg

anton72 likes this.
  12. Wow that is impressive set of cabs! I also have 801 combo as a home practice amp and it is amazingly powerful, I even played through it in a coffee shop and it was quite loud for such setting. NY804 is amazing cab, I was fortunate to test it and it sounded awesome with both LMIII and F1. BTW is that Russian TBer nickname Re-Translator? Just curious.

staurosjohn likes this.
  13. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Yup - I've used the 801 quite a bit - for gathering of up 100 people (in churches)... really sounds great! Do you have/use any 804's? ... and, yes, that is the correct TB'er... :laugh: do you know him personally?

anton72 likes this.
  14. Yeah I do know him and he just wrote me that he bought Big Bang from USA! The Globe is not that big ;) Talking about 804's I did not owned them but tried them in our local Markbass dealer's shop. I have a friend there so he lets me try any gear in the shop any time!

staurosjohn likes this.
  15. And finally a report...So I spent a while today to test all these options....Man this Jeff Berlin combo is something very special of all Markbass gear. I don't know how they achieve it but it does not sound same as LMIII head and NY151 cab and it does not sound like CMD151P not because of it has no tweeter, just something different and IMO better in design of this combo. It IS punchy while keeping bottom. Very articulate for 15" speaker and it is dead quiet (no noise) because it has no this tweeter hiss which irritates me in their P-series combos and cabinets. I also tried LMIII with NY121 cab and I did not really care for its tone. It is so differently voiced or I don't know what but it is just opposite from what I got from JB combo. I may just not like the 12" tone in general? Because I also A/B it to CMD121H combo with decent compression driver instead of crappy piezo tweeter but still did not care for its tone. So not 12" Markbass cabs for me, this is for sure. And the third option I tested today was my NY604 cab with LMIII head which surprisingly sounded more like 15" JB combo than 12" cab plus LMIII ! The only difference is that JB can go louder with keeping it low while NY604 gets louder with more lo-mid punch which is also awesome for some settings, for example when you practice with the band in smaller rooms you'd probably be heard better with NY604 because 15" driver needs more space around to be heard properly while 4x6" just sound "faster" as they say. So I'm now hesitating between keeping the NY604 and just buying LMII head (the older one, with class AB power amp) or sell NY604 and go for JB Combo. The main advantage of the NY604 as it is lighter and more transport-friendly (NY604 just perfectly fits my car boot while the JB is bigger and will have to sit in the car - no good?), NY604 has a top mounted handle while JB has two at the sides....Damn it, I won't sleep tonight! :D

staurosjohn likes this.
  16. I was curious about the JB combo too. Is it his combo or the school of music one you are looking into?

Do you think you could gig with it as a stand alone amp?

17. No it is their CMD151JB the Italian made one.

18. The one I am talking about can definitely stand alone in a gig. Very loud.

19. staurosjohn

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    :smug:
    Pretty informative review... thx! I have used a Traveler 121H on top of a 151HR... it is a pretty good sounding stack! Nice low-end from the 15 & some nice articulation from the 12 + horn! ... although this WOULD NOT be terribly portable :smug:
    mb.png

anton72 likes this.
  20. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I had a Jeff Berlin at one point and now have the NY151. With the horn off it is the same cab as the Jeff Berlin. Sounds the same to me and MarkBass support confirmed to me that they are identical except for the horn. The NY151 is much easier to carry than the Berlin combo.

munkeyfish likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021