1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TH500 or GBShuttle 9 or MBWalkabout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 77PBass, May 24, 2011.

1. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Thinking of a small format head to use with my Berg 2 x HT115's or 1 x AE112.

I play Jazz and Classic Rock using both vintage passive and modern active bass.

Anyone used these combinations? Thoughts?

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... a GB Shuttle 9.0 would power those two Berg HT115's very nicely !!
    :bassist:

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    They should all work. But, I believe the GB and WA are at two opposite ends of the tone spectrum. The GB is fast and articulate, the WA is tubey and thick. I'd expect the Aggie to fall in the middle, maybe being toward the GB in terms of quickness. This is a tone preference decision.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 totally personal preference.

5. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    As a habitual GK player I like my Shuttle 6.0. It seems to have a bit of a mid scoop and growl like GK, but not quite as scooped or growly, if that make sense. Its a little cleaner but in a good way. I dont think youll be disappointed with a shuttle, but should try out whatever you can first.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    GB Streamline 600 would be my choice.

7. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    This is the kind of thing I am looking for. I haven't played any of the heads and wanted to know how the relate sound wise.

I have a TB500 and while I like it I am not sure it is my sound. I should add my other heads are a '72 V4B and a Kustom K200B, so a "tubey" sound from the Mesa might be what I am looking for.

8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    For me, the tones that I go after for jazz and classic rock are on opposite sides of the tone spectrum.

Having gigged for the last couple of months with a GB Shuttlemax 9.2 and having gigged with a Mesa Walkabout for a little over 2 years (5 years ago), I'd say that if you might be happier with the GB Streamliner 900 or 600 head. It's some where in between the 9.2 and Mesa heads, leaning a bit more toward the sound of the Mesa though. The SL is not as boomy sounding as the Mesa though, which I interpret as a bit more focused sounding.

The cabinet that I use most of the time is the Berg HT112-ER and both the GB 9.2 and Streamliner sound great through the Berg cabinets. I say go with the Streamliner 900 over the 600 model for the additional headroom (for only ~$100 you get 300 watts more).

9. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're looking for "tubey" you should definitely heed BigOldHarry's advice and look into the GB Streamliner.
    THE GB 9.0 is fast and articulate but does have some gooey-ness to it as well.

10. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Exactly the issue...I think I need something more flexible than the TB500.

I just now recall playing a walkabout scout in GC an thinking I liked to sound of the combo, fat as anything but would want the head as I have the bergs.

I need to try the GB stuff...the ST600 sounds like something I should pay attention to. 375 watts is plenty. My V4B never gets cranked....on large stages or outdoors there is always PA support.

11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    If it's tubey you're after, I'd think the Walkabout would be the way to go. (Disclaimer: I've tried the Shuttle, but not the Aggie.) I own a V-4B and love it. My other amp is a Walkabout.

12. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Can you get just the MBWalkabout head or it's sold only with the cab? All I see online are used silver heads.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Sure, the head is available separately. Of the heads you mentioned, it'd be my 1st pick. It can be articulate yet warm, or fat and a li'l bit nasty:p It also has a superb, flexible eq section. It's drawbacks are less power and lack of some features like phones out, tuner out, aux in.

14. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    These are not features I am interested in.

The only feature I would like to see is an effects loop with a series/parallel switch and a blend/mix knob in front.....one can dream can't he?