TH500 vs AG700 vs LMIII vs D800 vs ?? -- To cover classic Reggae but also double bass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GuelphBassie, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GuelphBassie

GuelphBassie

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm replacing an RH450 that died on me, and I'd like to stay in the Class D universe. A lot of what I do is play modern roots reggae, so I'm looking for something that can give me that super dubby sound. But I also play double bass, and I'm looking for something that I can get through some jazz gigs with.

I'd like similar power to the RH450. I don't need more power, but definitely not significantly less. I'll be going through an RS212 and RS210 for reggae, just the RS210 with the double bass.

Right now I'm leaning towards the TH500, but also considering the AG700, the LMIII, the D800 and I'm open to anything else. These amps are really stretching my budget too, so if there's anything down a notch in price that would still cut it I'd love to heard about that.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    For me, the LMIII has worked great for both reggae and double bass. Some complain about Markbass amps sounding sterile, but to me they sound clean, warm, and punchy with my fEARful 12/6 cabs.

I stopped playing DB a couple of years ago due to tendonitis, but was happy with my sound for jazz gigs. The VLE and VPF filters make it easy to dial in different tones for reggae, and the clean sound makes a great canvas for pedals when playing different styles.

SJan3 and Zbysek like this.
  3. The Mesa Subway D-800 and also the Genzler Magellan 800 where made with double bass in mind during the designing of them and not as an afterthought. They also do great at reggae and many other genres.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Mesa D800. The deep switch = instant reggae.

SwitchGear likes this.
  5. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I've got the TH500 and I like it all around for electric and upright. The bass EQ point is at the right spot to get you a deep thump and the variable mid can dial in thick low mids or pull out upper mids as needed. My upright sounds pretty good plugged right in with minimal EQ, even using a just OK pickup, a K&K Bassmax.

However, if I were purchasing right now in the current market I'd be taking a hard look at the Mesa Boogie heads, particularly those with HPF's built in. Having the ability to boost the bass EQ and then clean it up with the HPF (and help protect the drivers at the same time) can be invaluable. The WD800 (admittedly, the most expensive model) also has the most extensive EQ section if you like to tweak.

I've only used the LMIII a couple of times as provided backline, nothing about it stood out as outstanding. I've not yet used the AG700.

6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I was using LM III and Aguilar TH500 at the same time. I was playing piezo-equipped pasive EUB. I kept LM III, sold the TH500.

I haven't had AG700 nor D800.

SJan3 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022