Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thank God for Fred Hammond !

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jan 16, 2006.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i know he has been discussed a few times here, I must have been living under a rock because I have just recently started to listen to him and everything i hear is just heavenly. His bass playing is so happenin' as is his tone, but his voice as well is just wonderful.... and best of all, the message !
    I have become a huge Fred Hammond fan.

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Yes, Fred's the man! And his band is so tight and groovy. Great stuff!

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fred is the man. Great player, great heart for the Lord and he plays Ken Smiths.

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fred's stuff is incredibly funky and uplifting. His music is kind of an updated version of the '70's soul stuff that I personally love. I'm currently spinning "Radical for Christ" in my car.

5. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    You have to get the DVD Speak those things:pages of Life Chapter 3 Live in Chicago. The band and performance are awesome and Maurice Fitzgerald on Bass caused me to pick my bass up and play along. You have to get it, Fred is one of my favorite players and I can usually pick up his tone and production on any gospel album.

6. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    his stuff as a member of Commisioned is his best work

There is also a DVD called The Lost Concert featuring Commisioned, The Winans, and Vaness Bell Armstrong. Its from 1984 at the time Hammond is only about 18 i think

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    + 1,000...Fred is one my MAJOR bass influences and it's fun to watch him play... Needless to say that to be a bassist behind Fred's group you have to have some chops, and Maurice (who is also mentioned in my profile as an influence), is probably one of the most sought after Gospel bassists out there. Great dvd!!!!!

8. Adrian,
    I'm with you Adrian! Personal opinion here!! -- I see Fred as the Marcus Miller of Urban Gospel. He sings, produces, arranges, and plays some deep-in-yo-pocket bass!:bassist:

Not sure if you know this singer or not, but if you like Fred Hammond - check out Joann Rosario!! She is one of Fred's main singers and he has produced both her CD's. Girlfriend can sing! And Fred's voice and bass playing is all over her stuff too! http://www.joannrosario.com/

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    John! how are you, bro?
    man, you know, I am in DEEP praise mode these days, i know you get it.
    I have been listening to almost zero secular music. With the exception of a Tower of Power show last Sunday.
    Fred's music just touches me, that man sings from his heart.
    I will check out this link for sure.. thanks!

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Another great bass player who's played with Fred is Terrance Palmer...he was in the Radical for Christ band before Maurice Fitzgerald. You can check him out on the Pages of Life 1 & 2 cd and dvd.

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    JoAnn Rosario is TIGHT!!! You can hear Fred all over her cd's.

Regarding Terrance, yeah he's a bad brotha, too. I just picked up Martha Munizzi's new dvd (produce by Isreal), and Terrance is in the back holding it down. I showed it to our Praise and Worship leader and we are now working on "Glorious" and "Shout" (a seriously funky tune)

12. I love Martha Munizzi -- or what I've heard from her. I could hear "Glorious" all day long. What a great sound -- the vocal harmonies are out of this world.

Good to talk to you too Adrian. Praying for you all the time.;) Glad you're gigging and perhaps getting a new F bass. That will make life fun! I'm with you - I listen to mostly Urban Gospel these days. Not really much else. It satisfies the soul AND the ears!;)

13. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Have either of you guys heard the new Israel and New Breed- Live in Africa. Double CD with awesome music. I love the live recordings better than studio. They have an energy and rawness that studio recordings cannot deliver. Some very nice bass playing is done by Terrance Palmer too. He used to play for Fred Hammond before Maurice stepped in.

14. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    She is quite the talent...I wasn't aware that she wrote so many hits for other people until I saw her performing them on the dvd. Since you're like me and only listen to urban gospel (and jazz/gospel), ya gotta check this one out my friend.

15. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm *somewhat* new to the format (I've been a believer since '88 but always listened to CCM - growing VERY tired of it). I'm still learning names in black gospel and which ones I like.

16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Isreal and The New Breed in South Africa was under the Christmas tree for me and it is definetly "hapnin". Adrian, hope all is well!!!!

17. Amen bro' Hammond's da man!!! (though it's pretty hard to get either his or Commisioned CDs here in Mexico :help: )
    Never heard of Martha Munizzi, but I'll sure check her out...

18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Are you able to get Amazon.com????? That's where I buy the majority of my concert dvd's since the Best Buy's, etc around here don't stock a lot of urban gospel (or other urban music dvd's for that matter)

19. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Welcome Adrian,
    I've been a big Hammond fan for years, and play a lot of his stuff with the artists I work for. When you were going through your recent stay in the hospital..I had "Blessed" in constant rotation...

"Late in the midnight hour, God's gonna turn it around, It's gonna work in your favor"..

Pretty much an anthem to your healing and recovery.

Rock on' Bro.

:bassist:

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Praise God, bro, and thank you! Prayer is so powerful. and the Lord's love is so immeasurable. I owe it all to Him