Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank Goodness for a D String...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by peabody, Jul 28, 2005.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    This thread topic reminded me of something that happened many, many years ago (many). In the late 70's I played in a rock band with a bunch of guys (the same guys I'm playing with now, but that's a story for another day).

Anyway, we were on our way to our gig, just filled up my '67 Dodge van with gas and pulled out onto the highway. Disaster struck...the accelerator cable snapped and we found ourselves stranded at the side of the road wondering how we were going to get to the gig.

Suddenly I had an idea...I grabbed a guitar string out of our guitar player's case and jerry-rigged a new accelerator cable. The guitar string was an Ernie Ball Super Slinky (D string as I recall). It worked perfect and it got us to and from the gig without a problem.

A week or so after the incident I wrote a letter to Ernie Ball (this is way before the internet ..way, way before), and let them know what happened. I figured this would be a great promotion piece. I envisioned a new advertising campain that stated not only did EB strings sound great, they could be used as car parts, etc.

My response back from Ernie Ball was a form letter thanking me for my recent inquiry about Ernie Ball strings and they enclosed a string brochure.

I'm thinkin' EB missed out....it could have been big...big I tell you. Oh well, this is probably why I didn't go into marketing.

Over and out.....

2. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Nice story! Some companies are dim it seems. Maybe they didn't take you seriously because you are the bass player.

;)

I have a friend with a large TV and he had it on Discovery Channel.. well all the time.

There is a burned in logo in the lower-right side of the screen now and I've suggested he take a pic and send it to them. For all we know, he could be the new Jared(of Subway) for Discovery Channel.

DCat

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Common problem with LCD TVs.

4. all i want are free packages of power slinkies (purple packaged strings)......those things are the best.....only have to change them every 3-4 months, and even then only one string in teh entire set breaks....

5. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI