Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank you and Goodbye

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by codeine, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As it is quite clear that I am not really wanted around here anymore I have decided to no longer actively participate in TB.

Before I leave however I would just like to say thanks to all the people who have directly or indirectly helped me through their advice. Special thanks to Jazzbo, Pacman, Ed F and merlin who proved to be a wealth of info.

Good luck to everyone in their careers and bass playing.

Simon

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whoa! Did I miss something? :confused:

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Boy, that thread went to hell in the Express lane!

5. Stealing is wrong but I don't think it was necessary for Pete and others to call you those words.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Being a victim of theft, a cherry sunburst Spector and a Warwick Pro M, I can understand the hostile reactions aimed at a thief. Plus, it seemed as though you're proud of it. I don't think, however, that you should leave. I like ya'! Plus, there are others I'd like to see go before you! ;)

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Point taken. :mad:

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    as long as you know not to steal from anyone, more importantly from musicians, you should stay. Bad first impressions, thats all the situation was.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Look, if people left because of one flame job from the community, there would not be a talk bass. Let sleeping dogs lie. You are appreciated here and take it for what it is worth. We all have strong opinions on different subjects.

If you leave because of one thread, than that is your decision. You apologized, leave it at that and go on about your business.

Man, I always miss the good stuff:( :D

11. I'm sorry for the harshness of my remarks, but speaking so flippantly about theft--which is a serious issue and disproportionately hurts the least well-off--is bound to raise eyebrows at the least, and more than a few tempers.

That said, if you've got something to contribute musically here--and I'm sure you do--then by all means stay. It's not like you're Mike Money or something.

12. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

geeeez Pete.... that was kinda' funny!

LOL

P@ :p

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a good thing you're here to educate the unwashed masses. Because, y'know, I would have thought taking other people's stuff is wrong based on the concept of property, ownership, monetary systems, and some vauge moral sense, when all along, I was just frustrated with my government. Silly me.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Week and a half, 2 tops.

15. I think you'll find that definitions of "obvious" are highly variable, SMASH. Has postmodernism taught you nothing?

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sure there is. here's a mathematical explanation -

((dislike property crime) + (dislike smug attitude when talking about committing property crime)) x (internet annonymity) = vitriolic extreme reaction

simple math, really.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or, maybe, just maybe, stealing is wrong, regardless of whatever psycho-socio-political meanderings you may present? "Obvious explanation," "no other way to explain threats of violence," "common sense."

Those seem to be positioning statements. It'd be intellectually dishonest to not recognize that it's entirely possible the outrage is moral, not political. As such, the "hatred for their lying thieving government" might be based on moral grounds. Why bring politics into this in the first place?

Responding may or may not work. I don't intend to participate further. And as such, won't.

18. It'd be a LOVE kick, John. A LOVE kick.

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually Peter, that is exactly what postmodernisim has taught everyone that subscribes to it: Nothing of any real value.

It's all "the man's" fault.

:rolleyes:

SMASH: Yes, I think sarcasm is completely acceptable here.

I'm getting really tired of EVERYONE that spews politically-correct psycho-political clap-trap as gospel. I'm not saying that there is absolutely no truth to some of what you say, but the whole "it's not my fault" attitude that is purveyed by some people after being brain-washed by this type of thinking galls me to no end.

We're talking about the same mind-set that says we owe reparations to the "African-Americans" in this country. Uh...HUH??? Excuse me, but I never owned a slave, no one in my family ever did, why should my taxes go to pay them "reparations"? Excuse me, but I'm one quarter Amerind (Seminole), and you won't find me marching in front of any government buildings with a placard demanding the return of my ancestral lands.

Sheesh....get up off your @$$ and earn what you want, or don't - but don't blame anyone but yourself for not taking advantage of the level playing field that is out there (heck for some minorities, it's not even a level playing field, the deck is stacked in their favor, for crissakes!).

And if you steal, whether you are a kid taking a stick of gum out of the corner store, a corporate raider stealing a business, or a politician stealing taxpayer money; if you get caught, you deserve what comes to you. Wrong is wrong, there is no different level here.

20. I think we're all allergic to straw here, buddy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.