Thank you and Goodnight!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hambone, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Dear friends, the year comes to a close and that means it's time for me to come out from behind the curtain and let someone else have some fun being a moderator. For the past (nearly) 5 years, I can't say that I've enjoyed every minute of it but I can't think of a better way to have spent all of that time. I hope I've done the forum a service. I know that when I started, I had no idea that TB and the Setup forum would be what it is now. For that I'm proud and for Paul's confidence, even in the trying times, I'm grateful. That I've been deemed worthy to be associated with TalkBass will always be a favorite feather in my cap of great experiences.

I'm not leaving so this isn't goodbye. I'll be around and I'll be pretty much the same - only better. Like NEW and IMPROVED! only without the suds. :D
  2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    So do you get to choose who replaces you? I have always wondered how people come to be moderators. But anyway, 5 years as a moderator is pretty impressive, and congratulations.
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

Thank you for the job you've done and the help you have given me on these forums.
  4. Oh yeah, and the "right" people have been made aware! ;)

Thank you.

James, No I don't get to pick but I do have a hand in the recommendation. I've already made that choice and Paul has that in the kettle stirring it in with the rest of the lot.
  5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Well, once again, congrats on a job well done and good luck to the fellow who has to follow an act like yours. 8 thumbs up.

6. Wow, you must be really busy to step down like that Hambone! I hope you stick around with all the awesome luthier advise you so often have for us!

You've been awesome the two years I been here and thank you for everything you have done to make TB a better place!

Ever consider having a Lady Mod? ;)

Thanks again, you're awesome!

7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Rock on, fellow Setup Mod Emeritus. :cool:
  8. Thanks Hambone!

It's always great when someone loves instruments, loves tinkering with them AND knows what they're doing.

(I'm good on the first two :p )
  9. Thanx, you guys/girls have been great!
  10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, I just recently had the pleasure of dealing with Hammy. Great guy. I've read his advise for a while now, and he truly is a great. It looks as though he and I may be able to do some business in the near future, and I am looking forward to it. I know I can trust his ideas and opinions. Thank you Allan.

Joshua, good luck on filling those shoes. I know you'll be a great replacement.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We will miss you as a Mod, Hammy, but glad to hear that you will still be checking in.

Joshua, congrats on the new position. I always wanted to be a Basses mod, and I think you have always wanted to be a Setup mod. Well, at least since you became a mod, anyway.:D Now we both have our wish.
  12. A simple "thank you" doesn't quite cut it for me. The help I have received from you here has saved me hundreds of dollars, given me the satisfaction (and pride) felt by doing it myself and allowed me to have all my basses working perfectly. I can't tell you how valuable your advice has been to me.
  13. That is an incredibly generous thing to say lo. It thrills me that I've been able to give something back to you and all of TB because, Lord knows, I've taken more than my share away from here. It also is a perfect example of my motto of "radical bass concepts for the cognizant" You don't have to have a large bucks to make your instrument play better and you don't have to have the finest instrument made to have great tone, superior playability, and lot of fun on a dime instead of a dollar. That's the radical part. People like you, lonote, are the "cognizant" :D
  14. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry that I don't know you well (or at all) but its kinda sad to see a mod step down after 5 years of bein in a position...all of us are thankful of all the help and whatnot that you've provided, because I'm sure that sooner or later I'll be one of them :D
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks hammy - you've been a great mod :) glad i suggested ya :D
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I want to second this.

When I started frequenting the Setup forum, I knew how to restring my bass and adjust the intonation, and that was about it.

Thanks to advice from Hammy, Pkr2 and a couple of others, I now have all of my basses setup stupid low, including my $99 SX. I know how to properly set up a bass, something that I was scared of for the first 20 years that I played.

I have learned to solder with skill and have done some basic electronics work on a couple of my basses.

I have learned how to make minor repairs to the wood and finish of my basses.

And much more.

I have a more major repair that I am going to post a thread on in a couple of days. I am sure that you will be as much help as you have been in the past, Hambone.:)
  17. It was funny when you "got it" Embellisher! You came on the board and posted in a way that made it sound like you were running into the kitchen to tell your mom that you'd had just dug up something incredible in the backyard. I guess we're all children when it comes to discovering new things.

Thanx John
  18. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    congrats on a job well done!

I've only been here a short while...but I know what it takes to do this job. I appreciate all the mods that step up to do this thankless task.

as far as what it takes to be a TB have to pass this simple test. Try as I will...I just can't pass it.

Mod Test

rock on TB!
  19. LOL :D
  20. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Allen, I can only echo what others have already said with much more eloquence than I - you've been one of the most helpful people in the history of TB, and I as well as so many others owe you as a teacher, mentor, and saving-of-professional-setup financial consultant. :D

For myself, thanks you very much for the help both publicly and in private PMs. I'm picking up the new, homedone fretless from the shop tomorrow (it needed some nut work, which I don't feel comfortable doing... for now ;)) and I'll drop you a line as to how both the procedure and end result turned out. I certainly owe you that much, given all the advice you were happy to give out.

Thanks for everything. :)