1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thank you, Craigslist!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassist1234, May 2, 2006.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Hi, I just put up a Fender MIM p for 350 2 days ago and already got a reply! I'm really excited because I never thought that selling stuuf yourself worked that well!

Anyway, im gonna use this money to buy a Geddy Lee jazz

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just make sure that you have cash in hand and he's not some sort of scammer. I've gotten many many scam replies on craigslist.

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Maybe its just my Craigslist or my bad luck, but Ive definitely learned not to get your hopes up when someone says they want to buy your item. For me, at least, its happened a LOT (the vast majority of the time) where they express interest, even for a few emails back and forth, and then never show at the meeting spot.

4. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    How do they scam you?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The old Nigerian scam is popular, they offer to pay you extra if you take thier fake check and forward the rest to somebody else while shipping the bass to Nigeria.

However, it's usually not a problem if you agree to meet somewhere. I would however, recommend bringing a friend with you.

6. yup, my friend came soooo close to getting his xbox360 scammed with the nigerian thing, he had no idea about it. and both time i sold things on CL i brought, forgive me, but my momto meet the people haha. And then the same friend that almost lost his xbox brought me and the rest of our friends to meet the guy that he sold his doulbe bass pedal too. the guy was a little intimidated with 7 kids around him handing over $200 bucks, but the tranaction went smoothly and the guy was super cool.

7. Yah...........A leetle fren that goes BANG!! :cool:

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Right on TP. It aint sold till you got the cash in hand.

ps. Devils are looking good but watch them Sabres go!

9. I've gotten more lowball offers through Craigslist than anywhere else. Glad you did well though.

10. It's wierd, when I put a gear ad up on craiglist no one calls about the gear, they feign interest in the gear then ask if I'm still playing bass, and would I like to join their creed cover band or crust band.

I don't even know what kind of music crust is, doesn't sound very appealing to me though.

11. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Getting a Geddy is a good thing. They are very nice.

12. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    After my first meeting with a person off CL, this is probably a good idea if you can do so without breaking the law.

No joke.

13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I've had good luck with 2 transactions thru Craigslist. Sold my Genz Benz rig for the full price. The guy didn't even try to deal, just played thru it for about 5 min. and handed over the cash. Nice guy too! Lot of tire kickers before he showed up tho. Did get the usual Nigerian scam offers too.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Ampeg SVTIIP preamp off there for dirt cheap!!

So far it's been a good thing.

14. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    you'll love that geedy

15. i've done well buying and selling on CL. i bought a used eden 4x10 xlt for $300 a while back. i sold my hartke 4x10 tp w/ no haggle for $175 and sold other general household stuff without incident... yes, you'll get some people who express interest, then vanish and you'll always get the nigerian scam, but everyone knows this schtik by now eh? if you have an expensive musical instrument to sell (i.e. high-end or vintage bass) you probably won't move it on CL though...

16. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    so should I ask for cash only then?

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    YES!!!!

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Dear god yes. NEVER take a check from a stranger.