Thank You Cris Benavente!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Al Caldwell, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I have played my 11 string bass/guitar on 3 television shows and the crew and the band agree that this is the best tone i've ever had.The wood selection was a great choice by Cris. The weight of the bass feel's like 9.5 pounds. And the pick-up ideal that I came up with helps with the
    muting problems. (higher and lower) I love that the plucking sound can vary like a Jazz bass but the Bass strings have a Punchy solid tone unlike
    anything that i've played before. I played at Carnige Hall on Feb,11 and I
    played the 5 string all night because I haven't had enough time to practice on that 11. I had no ideal how much I would miss the low F#!
    I love my Low End 5 string Jazz Bass but the 9 string and the 11 string
    actually cover the gig easier. I just e-mailed someone named Shannon
    about my fear of playing more than 6 strings(Anthony Jackson is my Hero!!!)but it's harder going back to 5 strings.I've never imagined playing
    bass this deep before. I love that I have at least 3 positions to play certain patterns which give me tonal flexibility.Cris Benavente thank you
    for making me just what I asked for! The Namm show was fun!!! I have a web site called I am going to have a 9 string built by
    Mike Adler and Fred at Bee Basses. They also are great pioneers in the world of multistring basses. I hope to have the greatest 9 string bass collection in my house!!!!! ( thank god it's tax deductible!!!) I didn't get to hang out much at the Namm Show but I had the best time of my life this year! It was great meeting a lot of you. Jay is Crazy!!!! Al Caldwell
  2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I saw the View last
    Thursday, the 11-string looked like a monster.
    Just awesome.
    Thanks again Al.
  3. Al,

Crazy is a good thing!!! It keeps your fingers young and nimble so you can tear up any 11 string that comes your way!! Now tell everyone how your 11 string made Rick Fox JEALOUS!! Gasp!! Al Caldwell in the TABLOIDS!!! :)

New tunes for you, drums and bass ideas:

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I saw your basses at NAMM Al...beautiful instruments!

My only wish is that if I ordered one just like it I'd be able to play it like you do!!
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Hey Jay - can you describe a little what's going on in those clips? EG is Double-Entendre just a bassist and a drummer? Thanks. I really like it.
  6. That rehearsal recording consisted of myself and a drummer (1st time playing together) in a room after just 25 mins here in LA.

We discussed the thematic ideas (I.) Bar of 6/8 to 7/8 to 6/8 to 6/8, etc. (II.) 8/8, all fingerpicking, etc.), and then pushed RECORD. It's more complicated than that in terms of technique, etc. but that's the basic sense of that tune. The awkward bar of 7/8 gets you chicks.......:)

Consequence and Insulin feature fretless concepts.

I've written about 14 new tunes and am currently looking for other "innovative" players to contribute:

We want to open for Liza Minelli. Anything less will be a tremendous disappointment..........

7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Thanks. They all are pretty cool, and I really dig Double-Entendre.

Odd time signatures get you chicks, eh? All mine must be invisible then. :)
  8. Thanks for the nice thoughts!! :)

All those intelligent prog. rocks guys got mad ladies, more than Ratt, Crue, and Dokken combined!! ;0

9. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi

Good to hear about your experience with the Benavente 11-string -- partially because I am impatiently awaiting a Benavente bass myself, though a bit more modest: six strings, fretless.
    Particularly your statement about the percieved weight interests me. It feels like 9.5 lbs? Can you tell me the actual weight? How does it balance (that big headstock with 11 tuners and a chambered body would make me think neck-dive).

Also the Adler / Bee 9-strings sound interesting - both of these build quite light weight instruments, no? A light weight 9-string is definetly in my future........ I have to ask: how much does your Benavente 9-string weigh?

thanks a lot
  10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Anyone have any links to the shows mentioned? I saw the namm video and was wondering if anyone had any more?
  11. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I don't have a scale at home that could handle the job.The 11 is lighter than my Conklin Hollw 9 and thats about 14 pounds!!! The chamberd body and bass wood body helps a lot.The neck in heavier than the body but because of the body shape and strap position , it tilts up when you put the bass on. I'm smilin and gigglin! Al Caldwell
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Have I got a Liza Minelli story for you! but this is a family show...
    let's just say she likes bass players... no, not me...but pretty gory..

Al, it's really cool to see your career going places... very exciting. Nothing in the world can be more satisfying than to be in demand and playing a cool gig as you are doing right now...
  13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Suuuure Adrian....not what I heard! :eyebrow:
  14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hey Al,
    Great to hear you're digin' the 11. I caught you on GMA and it looks great and, unfortunatly, my TV's little speakers don't have the bass response needed to really hear you best. I also caught the vids on I think the Low End, but it may have been Chris' web site and it was COOL watching you play with the midi!!! Are you doing any solo stuff? I could certainly see it being worth my while to drive a few hours to NY to check you out live.
  15. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I've just moved in a few weeks ago so i'm buying trash cans and pots and pans. I hope to start playing locally in May. We might be on a short tour with Lionel Riche. Thats my equipment money right there. I'll keep you posted about gigs. On my web site i'll set up atour schedual. Thanks for watching us on T.V. I'm really a happy these days! Al Caldwell
  16. Nice, this is what I expect from you Garcia. Jackpot! :)
    Gory, as in a MEAN RIGHT HAND? She'll put a whoopin' on us bassists for sure!!

I heard that the only way she would allow a bass like Al's 11-string on her stage is if you tell her the that idea came from "The Wizard Of Oz". :)

Al, keep pushing the envelope!!! Get these ERBs MAINSTREAM.

17. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Al, congrats on the new bass and your growing career. Unfortunatly, I missed you on TV with Vanessa but my girlfriend says, "you should have seen it, man was that bass huge and cool looking". When I heard Vanessa was going to sing at the Daytona 500 I was happy because now I could finally see you on TV, then she came on with no band :rolleyes: Oh well, as least she is good to look at as your bass is.

Again, congrats on everything and hopefully I'll get to see you sometime.