Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank you god for xm radio!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jan 19, 2003.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    If you dont have it yet then you need to get it! I live in a fairly small town that the radio stations just play pop country or rap! Now i can have stations like beyond jazz and several other really cool stations! And man if you life stand up comedy you will love the comedy stations!

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I live in huge metropolitan area. Radio bad, awful even. Friend has XM, want to play with. No have time, but soon....I hope.

Is it really the saviour? It would probably take a 3 hour car ride to determine this.

3. I'm starting to look into this as the radio scene in New York is pretty horrible. On our so called smooth jazz station is starting to play 60s & 70s Motown (which I do like) but come on, it's not jazz. On more thing that used to be free (good radio) but now we have to pay for. :(

Mike

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    For me most talk radio is bland and tasteless and rock n' roll stations are way too redundant, there's only so much Bad Company I can take in one day. Luckily enough in Denver there is one good jazz station and one good classical station both which are on NPR (National Public Radio) which I support. I personally don't like the thought of having to pay to listen to the radio. I will generally listen to a tape or CD 99% of the time.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I travel all over Middle TN and have considered this. Do they have a unit that can easily go from the car to home yet? Last time I looked, they didn't. I wasn't about to buy 2 receivers....

I've also considered just getting an mp3/CD player for the car. I could take about 10 or 12 CD's and rip them to one CD.

XM - Purchase receiver and pay monthly fee, lots and lots of stuff to choose from.

mp3/CD - Purchase player, no monthly fee, but not as much variety as XM.

Yes sony and a couple other brands have a home unit now! They also have this really cool brand that has a boom box that it can connect too! It is really nice when we r out on the boat!

Or hey you could do what i do! Get xm and the mini disc! Then you can record stuff from xm to mini disc! Because alot of the channels have live shows. But make sure you have a stereo in your car that has rca in and out!
    At first i didnt want to pay for radio but it is really worth it! I agree that 70s channels get really old because they play the same boston song over and over! There is a 70s chanel on xm that makes a promise that they will not repeat the same song twice in one day! I love the comedy as well! Great to break the stress of the day!

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    i will tell you what its like! Remeber when we only had vhs for movies! Then dvd came out and you go back to vhs? Doesnt that suck! Well its about the same!

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    To me, the means never justified the cost.

Plus you get the most dorky Antenna in the world to slap on your car. But it's a very cool idea. just wish it was cheaper.

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hehe i lucked out on the antena! I have a jepp wrangler with a soft top! I installed the antena inside the jeep! Plus there r several diff antenas out there now! Mine is a tiny black thing!<--- u know there is a joke there!

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah Denver Radio sux as well! You have the hard rock station, the blink 182 station, the "whatever is trendy" station, and the kenny G station, so blah..
    :p

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I know what you mean, where i live, it's either Country, Rap, or the "old crap thats not even GOOD old crap" staion.

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When my hubby and I used to travel back and forth from Nashville to South Florida, I had plenty of time to discover just how bad radio is all across the South. I mean--just plain awful. The only thing that kept me sane was programming many hours of tapes before we'd take a trip so we could hear the music of our choice. But once in a while we wanted to hear some local news. What we got instead were ads, ads, ads.

I think for those who spend a lot of time in the car, satellite radio is a wonderful thing. And yes, you pay, but you pay for CDS, too, I hope. It is very expensive to program many hours of music from CDS to provide something listenable. I found out when I tried it.

By the way, I have 27 channels of digital cable music on my TV. One thing listening to that has done is introduce me to new music I really like. The cool part is the screen shows you what band and song is playing. What I dislike about radio is that if you hear a song you really like, they hardly ever tell you what it was or who played it.

Another thing I like about the cable music channels is that they are so much better than what is on TV most of the time.

12. Once you subscribe, do you get ALL the channels or is it like cable TV where you get most, but, not all channels?

Mike

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys i am posting the link to the unit i have! It is the one that goes from car to home with just a snap!
    http://www.xmradio.com/skyfi/
    and when you pay for music you get all of it! The only channel you need to pay for seperatly is playboy! Who in the heck would pay for playboy channel on your radio? Maybe so you could listen to people moan all day or somthing?
    And yes it is kinda like the cable music. But you have over 100 channels of music and news and comedy , kids channels. But most r music!

Here is a link that you guys can try! It has samples of what you will hear!
    http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp

I cant understand how a musician could live without this! Because i love jam band jazz and there isnt a radio station anyplace on earth that only plays that! Like John Scofield , Bela Fleck , Grey boy allstars. But that beyond jazz is worth buying xm alone to me! Because like someone said its like cable it lets you hear stuff all the time that you would have never heard of! When i drive i keep a notebook next to me so i can write down cds i want because it tells you on the screen who it is and what cd it is on! I thought at first it was kinda expensive to get but after i have had it for awhile i have decided i would have payed alot more for it!

Ohh and alot of the channels have live or recoded concerts! I got to here john scofield live the other day and hooked my mini disk to the back of my stereo and recoded it all in digital format! Cant beat that!