Thank you... I think.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dougjwray, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    After Monday night's rehearsal for a big show I'm doing this Saturday, one of the other performers told me, "I love your bass [playing]. It's so relaxing." o_O

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What kind of music were you playing?

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Rock, folk-rock and jazz arrangements of classic and original Christmas songs.

HolmeBass likes this.
  4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I’ve been told that before because the previous bass player wasn’t that good and it more or less meant it was relaxing not to be stressing and playing with a bad bass player...

five7 and Wisebass like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I guess you could take that as a positive. If you were playing punk, on the other hand...

6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I think it's simple math. the more dirt you play with the more likely that would be an insult, and vice-versa is true.

LowActionHero, HolmeBass and M0ses like this.
  7. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Take it as a compliment.I've played with a lot of different drummer's and a bad drummer is anything but relaxing to play with! A great drummer makes playing bass almost effortless.

RSBBass, scuzzy, packhowitzer and 5 others like this.
  8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I get that. One word most often used to describe me is "smooth". Whether it's on bass, on acoustic guitar, or vocals ... I'm often told "you're so smooth". From audiences and emcees, no less! And next to that "you look so relaxed on stage". Neither is a compliment really, just an observation, I suppose.

9. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nice humble brag :D

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    There is nothing I enjoy more than mellow, relaxing Punk Rock.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    If you want to see it that way ... but it wasn't. :meh:

12. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Drummer told me once I had "big ears" in an audition. Got self-conscious for a second, then realized what he meant. I listened well. I'm no monster player, but I do try very hard to listen and adapt. Ironically, this drummer was very hard of hearing (30 years my senior).

Being "relaxing" to play with means he could play and not have to worry about you or wrangle you in. That is indeed a compliment.

Aweiss96 and foolforthecity like this.
  13. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    +1 Thinking the same thing - a good drummer may not be "relaxing" per se, but he/she is relaxing compared to a bad drummer, who keeps you guessing on timing.

packhowitzer likes this.
  14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks for your comments, everyone.
    I guess I'll take it as a compliment!

Old Blastard and HolmeBass like this.
  15. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I think we can safely assume the OP isn't a punk player. There was no mention of any 40 oz. Olde English 800 for one, and nobody got smacked upside the head with a bass covered in stickers...

Old Blastard likes this.
  16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut

17. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Oh, I laughed, and then ran a little further with the joke, shoulda finished with a ;) or a :roflmao:, I guess.

18. Take the compliment!

If what you are playing is getting "good press", run with it!

Better than being told you suck, or worse, NOTHING!

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    He started his remarks with "I love your bass playing" - I'm Pretty darn certain that the rest is still a compliment, or at least intended to be. Don't try to twist it into something mroe complicated than it is.

Years of being congratulated for songs the we didn't play - "I love the Blondie tune" (we were an all original band) or being recognized at the guitar player (I only play bass) have made me realize that, if someone likes something you did, or even recognizes you as someone who enetertained them in some way, no matter how misguided their compliment is, the correct answer is "Thanks".

It's a good thing.

Yeah, I just quoted Martha Stewart. Deal with it.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Seems simple enough to me.

You are so relaxing they are fighting sleep.

Kidding of course. :D