Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank you, Jay Leno

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by KUNGfuSHERIFF, Nov 1, 2002.

1. weird snapshot from a weird week:
    3/4 asleep in front of the TV last night when the Tonight Show came on. They did a bit making fun of Jackass The Movie and Barbie in one swoop, including, as you'd expect, "Corona." Weird as hell to hear the Minutemen on national TV in this age, but a pretty cool surprise.
    KFS

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

that's a trip. d. boon wrote a cool tune. funny though, the lyrics are about poverty and our southern neighbors. it was always fun to play at gigs and such.

on bass, watt

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Hi Mike! I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that you inspired me to take my bass playing in a whole new direction. I guess it was around Firehose "Down with the Bass" that I kinda stumbled onto your music...and I'm so glad I did! The intensity in your playing fired me up and showed me I didn't have to hold anything back. I worked backwards into the Minutemen(I love Double Nickels). My favorite song has to be the slow tempo one where D.Boon sings "Mister Narrator...This is Bob Dylan to me". That song puts me in a great mood every time I hear it! Thanks for everything!

4. Jontom: I did much the same, and have had the good fortune of seeing Watt in person four times since, speaking with him twice. He signed my bass the first time after sharing a little cough-cough. The second time, I brought my Dad to the gig, which seemed to trip Watt out a bit.
    Still laughing over that one,
    KFS
    By the by, the song you're thinking of is "History Lesson, part 1." That's a good 'un, written by Watt and sung by Boon with lyrics changed to fit.

5. watt

hi,

thanks for the kind words and tell your pop hi from me.

by the way, it's "history lesson, part two" - not part one. "part one" is on "the punch line" and "part two" is on "double nickels on the dime." thanks for thinking of us though anyway. much respect to you.

on bass, watt

6. D'oh!
    KFS

7. watt

mister sheriff,

don't worry - I f u c k up sometimes too.

on bass, watt

8. So that's the secret...you put spaces between the cuss letters...

9. Peter Hook

Peter Hook Guest

May 17, 2002
    Stockport, UK
    I suggest you listen to Bill Hick's "artistic roll call"

10. watt

peter,

please hip us to that ("artistic roll call"), I'm not familiar w/it. I do know that bill hicks was a great wit, that's for sure.

on bass, watt