Thank you Jazzbo!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CitricGuy, Jan 11, 2003.

1. I can't stress how much Jazzbo's Lesson in the talkbass archives on chord and scale theory has helped my bassin'. Ive gone from reading tabs fluently to first converting music to tabs, and after finishing the lesson actually reading bass lines from sheet music which you cant even compair to tabs. I hope Jazzbo catches this (Thanks for writing up that lesson) and I just wanted to put a link here in general instruction for newer bass players and want to try to get more people to learn to understand how they are creating their bass lines.. (the theory behind it) and Jazzbos lesson is an incredible start.

You can find the link Here
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Amen to that, im still reading it over and over, still some parts are hazy, but its a kick*** low-down of theory none-the-less
    Thanks J-MAN!
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I learned more from that article than in my college intro to music class taught by a maniac. But I'm taking it over again with a non maniac (hopefully) with the knowledge I have overall now, and hopefully understand everything in that class.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I just took a quick peak at that article...very well written and organized. good job Jazzbo.

My music Theory teacher last year didn't know how to spell phrygian :D he was kind of a stoner...he often forgot things in his lectures and would put the same question on a test 3 times.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. I just copied that Jazzbo supplied lesson to MS Word and I'm gonna print it out tomorrow so I can use it everywhere. Thanks Jazzbo!
  7. I don't understand how his lesson relates at all to Fieldy's mad skillz, therefore, I am uninterested.
  8. I have that entire article printed out and bound. It's that good.

I'd bet that jazzbeau would make an awesome teacher.
  9. agree'd :)

I didn't think about printing it out, so I think I'll do that right now :D

Spanky also raises a very GOOD point tho! (no pun intended :p)
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow. Thank you. Very much.
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, it's a kick "A" lesson, i learned more with it than the countless books ive TRIED to study. Very well writen.
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Actully jazzbo, Where did you receive your training? I mean, i'm PRETTY sure you went to school, or took lessons SOMEWERE. Ive been looking for training forever, and it seems i won't be able to take the music theory classes at the local college as i thought. so i guess i'm thinking later down the road.
  13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Agreed - I read it after taking a few lesson with Steve Lawson and it certainly helped reinforce what Steve had taught me.

The whole chord notes method really works!
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, yes I do take lessons, but the information from the primer was primarily self-taught. I had one buddy, who was the one who inspired me to take up bass, that showed me a couple of things. But then, I sat down with Harvard's Concise Music Dictionary, and read it word for word, three times over, (typically while waiting at the bus stop, inbetween classes and the like...).

Also, I have a firm foundation as a teacher. I was a corporate trainer for many years, and took extensive seminars and training classes on adult learning, spent about 60 hours a week teaching adults. So, it's a combination of things.

I think if you know how to teach, and have decent writing skills, once you really get a firm understanding of how basic theory works, it's not too hard to turn it into something cohesive. Also, don't forget, unlike Fuqua and Fitzgerald, who learned this stuff back when Moses roamed the Earth, I'm not too far removed from being a beginner.
  15. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Well since this is a jazzbo thank post, I'll have to join in. Thank you so much jazzbo! Your lessons has worked very well for me. I printed it out and took it to school and that's the majority of where I learned the rudimentary knowledge I have now, I've already read it twice and it helps a lot! It's a great lesson, thank you:)
  16. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Yeah...when you live in a small town with no one around to help you out...information here really helps out...

Thanks Jazzbo...:)
  17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Moses had the SERIOUS groove going on, and he didn't waste his time with any of this fancy "SlAp & pOp" stuff, either. Just straight fingerstyle, with a groove so strong it could part water.

Plus, Moses only needed four strings.
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    From what I remember of that story, Moses was much more of a pioneer. If I recall correctly, the story goes that Moses was trying this "melodic" bassline approach, where Ibrahim had always played root-fifth, Jesus played root-fifth, (but had ggreat, some might say "miraculous", fills), and Noah played root-fifth. Moses was played 3rds, chromatics, passing tones, and the funkiest rhythms you can think of.

Fearing persecution, he knew he had to get to the Promised Land. First, he decided to assemble a proper horn section. He took them with him. Most people know this story as Moses trying to lead the Jews to the Promised Land, but this is false, he was really just taking his horn section. Because there were thousands of people, it took them forty years to agree on a rehearsal time and place, and that's when they appeared from the desert.

Having been there, perhaps you could verify some of this Durrly.
  19. I didn't know James Jamerson was Moses! :eek: Hmm... you learn something new everyday.