Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank you Jerry Rice!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 5, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sad day today for sports fans, as the best WR of all time hung up his cleats. No big surprise for NFL fans, but still sad to see him go. Jerry Rice Retires

I had the chance to see him play with Seattle for a couple games last year. Yeah, he was past him prime when I watched him play, but he was the best WR on the field in the games I was at. I don't ever remember him making any negative off the field news during his career either. I had a chance to meet him at the Pro Bowl a few times in the late 80's and early 90's. Definitely a gentleman, and classy guy.

-Mike

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Got to respect a guy who played just because he loved to play...

I always enjoyed to watch him play... great guy...

Good luck to Jerry... hope he will enjoy whatever he will be doing after NFL...

he is still a 49er in my eyes:)

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Jerry, thank you for fumbling in the 99 playoffs against the Packers, then crying to the ref to blow it dead until he did since you are JERRY RICE and bigger than the actual game......oh wait....I'm not thanking you for that!

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

ahahahahaha i remeber that... that was great:) he fumbled and made it look like he threw the ball down in selibration... is that what you are talking about? or was that later on he did that?

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Might have been the same game. Packers were up with time running out. SF was driving. Rice caught a pass, CLEARLY fumbled, but because he is Jerry Rice, the play was called dead. GB went on to lose when now Minnesota Viqueen Darren Sharper was unable to play pass coverage against TO with 3 seconds left.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You would've thought John York would've signed Rice for a day so he could retire as a Niner; but then again York is a Dork :eyebrow: .

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    If it was the game i am thinking of... they blew it dead not because he was Jerry Rice but because he made it look like he released the ball in celebration... I know... it was dicked... but there is some humour in that:) admit it:)

I've seen him pull that off several times too:)

My thoughts exactly...

8. yeah, jerry is the man

9. Definitely the greatest WR ever, arguably the best player ever, period.

Thank you, Jerry.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    jerry rice was my favorite player when i was in elementary school.

i still remember the super bowl when the '9ers trounced the chargers. :cool:

11. Jerry was the ultimate wideout - not only in terms of production on the field, but also in terms of leadership and off-field conduct. Truly, he's a class act.

It's only a matter of time before he's a commentator...hopefully they replace Irvin with him. :D

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    That’s a good point... he would probably be a great commentator... every time I saw interviews with him he was nice... he had things to say... he had knowledge and could keep a conversation going... I noticed that some sport commentators have troubles with that last part...

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I bet the guys at the bath house are ecstatic that Jerry's gonna have more free time! :hyper:

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Dude... don't you know that bathhouses are illegal in SF?

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    :mad:

Hater!!! :D

-Mike

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    LOL..I couldn't help it man!

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Don Hutson.

18. Lynn Swann is one of the greats no doubt, but in sheer terms of talent and output, Jerry wins, hands down.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Line 'em all up, Rice is still better than anyone else to ever catch passes in professional football.

-Mike

20. Say, doesn't that Hutson character still hold like 8 NFL records 60 years after he retired...