Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank You, Peavey...The Chevrolet of Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Aug 11, 2003.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Since I haven't purchased a cab yet to complete my rig, I borrowed a Peavey TNT combo amp for the gig at the yacht club Saturday.

You know, it might not sound the best or be the latest greatest high tech, but, by George, it'll get'cha there, do the job, and get'cha home.

Seems to be the Chevrolet of equipment.

(And by the second set, those wearing lei's and dancing with a beer cup deftly held overhead didn't seem to notice the Peavey's lack of sonic nuances.)

2. Lol, Fords are reliable? :meh: :)

3. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Ya know, I didn't even think of a potential Ford vs Chevy thread highjacking!

:D

4. IME - :rolleyes:

Except the German-made Fiesta from around 1980.

Those things ran forever.

:cool:

5. Peavey stuff is well built and reliable, that's for sure. Not my favourite sounding gear but you do have to give credit where credit is due. Solid workhorse stuff.

As for the Chevy vs Ford debate, Honda and Toyota easily trump any of the big 3 for reliability. ;):D

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've been using Peavey bass amps for the past 20 years and i've never had a problem! Extremely reliable, well priced, excellent value for the money and they sound pretty damm good to boot.

It doesn't matter where or what you play with Peavey, you always know it's gonna be there for you.

If you want to try the ultimte Peavey, find a Classic 400 tube head. It will blow you away.

Cheers,

7. Buy this guy a beer, for he speaks the truth.:cool:

8. I'll second buying that guy a beer! I would definately equate my Peavey gear (previously owned included) with my Toyota, A 1972 Corona Mark II Wagon. It just passed up 500,000 miles. Sure, it's had it's fair share of repairs but it's still on the road!

My last Peavey amp was an old Max Bass unit (CS 800 w/Max Pre-Amp in a flight case) that I bought used with a blown channel. Turned out to be a cracked solder connection, a $30 repair. I gigged HARD with that amp for over 3 years and it NEVER let me down even under the most demanding conditions.

I went with Peavey again when I up-graded. This time a DPC 1400X and a Max Bass Pre-Amp. Why not! Money wasn't an object either. Guys talk a lot of SMAK about Peavey gear. It's nice to see the look on their faces when they hear "that sound" coming from a Peavey amp!!!:bassist:

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah no kidding...I always thought of Chevy among the least reliable cars, and I've never been one of the "Ford vs. Chevy" people. I thought this was going to be someone's thread about how their Peavey broke.

brad cook

10. The japanese are the most reliable, really. (the europeon ones don't count 'cause they're too expensive, so they better be reliable)

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I bought a Peavey Combo300 back in 1985. I played 5 nights a week until 1991 and never ever ever had a problem with it. I would have guys coming up to me and asking to buy my setup(bass and amp). I'm sure the sweet G&L L2000 had something to do with it. It has been down graded to my practice amp but it still kicks ass and sounds like it did when I bought it. I also have a little Audition 20 guitar amp. I bought that around the same time and now my son who just started playing bass uses it for a bass amp.

12. Ampeg=Ford, warm and happy.:)

13. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Peavey amps sound good when Oteil uses them. Actually really great. I would play one.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I love it when that happens! It goes something like :eek: , then :oops: and ocasionally ends with :mad: when they find out how much money you've invested. :D

15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I play in one venue that is a nightmare load in. I bought a used Peavey 210 amp that uses the same power amp as the 300 combo and leave the amp there. Thing weighs a ton. Sounds really quite nice.

Sure, my Super Redhead kicks its butt in tone and power but the Peavey cost $220. That is a lot of amp for the money.

Chuck

16. The best 410 I've ever played through... Peavey 410 TX... Of course I own it:D... Of course I want an amp that doesn't F*&ing CLIP when I wanna turn up... that's why I should get a peavey AMP! Screw Hartke:D

17. Hehehe, European cars are the best :D They are overpriced in the USA though. I heard you pay 5x more for a BMW or a Mercedes over there in the USA.

I love Peavey. I own a Peavey Microbass and a 410TVX cabinet. Love 'em. They are indestructible. I like the sound of it as well.

18. Hmmmmm, perhaps a trip to europe is in order? :D

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'll vouch for that!! I have had my Classic 400 for two years now and it continues to blow me away everytime I play through it..

Oh and I'm a Chevy man!!