Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Mar 8, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I just wanted to thank everyone who steered me in the right direction in the thread debating ditching my eden 410 xlt.
    They told me to get the Bergantino NV610. Boy Howdy were they right!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    HOLY CRAP, distortion and overdrive really dirty the place up now.
    And clean the cab sounds warmer and more clear.
    I kinda miss the low lows that the 410xlt had, but give me some more time and maybe I can EQ something in there right.
    I know that it doesn't exist without pics you can look at them on my myspace if you really want to see another one. ; look in view more pics.
    Now I'm debating getting rid of my svt4pro/ sansamp bddi combo.
    I know everyone says the 70's tube svts, but I'll need more watts (even if tube watts are louder).
    Now I'm looking at the gk2001rb or possibly a svp-pro with a power amp (like a crest ca9 or other recomendations).
    Thanks again and in case you can't tell I absolutly love this cab (and one of the last ones in this color at least).
    And thanks to my man Chance at fearless guitars here in Portland, Or.
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If you need lots of watts and volume and still want TRUE tube tone plus a second overdrive channel (you can select it or blend it with the clean channel via footswitch or front panel) look NO further than the Peavey Classic 400. 400 BONE CRUSHING watts (100 more tube watts than both the Ampeg SVT and Mesa 400+). 400 tube watts is like 1200 solid state watts. Man I tell ya, on 4 on the master, it damn near knock me over and made me sh1t myself. I have the Berg 610 also and the two are a KILLER combo!
  3. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah... but where can one find a Peavey 400 Classic? They rarely, if ever, pop-up on ebay...:meh: I sent a question to Peavey on a different matter, but I offered my thought that they should reissue this amp... I got a response that they just might do it. The guy even said that Musician's Friend had bought-up a bunch of Classic 400s that Peavey 'discovered' back in their warehouse somewhere... :eyebrow: Well... needless to say, I've not seen one offered on MF's website, either. Great amp, though... that's for sure...

...however, I might suggest the Marshall VBA400... if you wanna go all-tube. I had one, loved it, damn-near cried :crying: after I recently sold it, but I know it has a wonderful home with a bass player who loves it as much as I did... :)
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I've heard two Peavey Classic 400s. While not bad amps, they don't hold a candle to an SVT or a Mesa 400+, IMHO. They do get stupid loud (as does an SVT or Mesa) but to my ears, didn't have anywhere near the tone that the two "old reliables" have.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! I hope it serves you well. :)

If you want amp recommendations, I can vouch for all the following:

Sadowsky SA200 (hands down the best I've used)
    Eden VT-300 (also made by Dolf Koch, and a very flexible amp, though not quite as nice sounding as the SA200)
    Almost any Trace Elliot all-tube head (with special love for the V8 and VA400, or the VR350 tube amp)
    Traynor YBA200 (darned good for the money!)
    Peavey Classic 400 (yeah, it doesn't sound as good as an SA200, but it does get darned loud; just avoild the Chinese 'coke bottle' tubes)
    Mesa Boogie Bass 400/400+ (these just sound so great; excellent for the money)
    Vintage SVT (for that 'Vintage SVT sound' you just can't beat a Vintage SVT;) )
    Aguilar DB 750 (solid state amp, but this just flat out rocks with one or more NV series cabs)
    Any good preamp with a CA9 - MF is blowing out Epifani Quest II preamps, BTW!

6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Oh ya...what Tom said! Congrats on picking up my favorite cab in the whole world!
  7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Right now I'm debating a gk 2001rb, an svp-pro (or other pre?) paired with a ca-9,and not sure what else. I generally go for a more dirty sound, but want it to be verstile since It'll be my only amp.
    I really like the aguilar db750 but its a bit out of my price range, so I thought about pairing the pre version of the db750 w/a ca-9, but that won't be much cheaper.
    I'm curious though how much different the ca9/svp-pro combo would sound vs. the current svt4pro/sans bddi combo would be?
    Thanks Everyone.
  8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    There was a Classic 400 in the Amp & Cabinet for sale section of this board 2-3 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure that it's still available. It shouldn't be, but I believe that it is, unless the seller changed his mind.

Check it out the Amps For Sale section.

9. Before you decide you need more power than an old SVT or other tube amp can provide, you should really try one with that cab. It's totally worth a shot, especially if you dig that kinda vibe.

I use an old SVT with mine and I never want for more power and my band is LTF. :ninja:
  10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I agree with all the tube heads on here. Add a Mesa 400+ to that list. As for volume, 300 watts tube will be more than enough for just about any situation, and 200 tube watts will cover most as well. Tube watts vs SS has in my experience been between 3:1 to 4:1 depending on the amp.
  11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Gah! I can't believe I forgot that one. :rollno: I have amended my list. :smug:
  12. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    If you go the preamp route, and if you're into vintage rock tone, you might want to consider the SVP-CL. Mine sounds spectacular through a QSC PLX1602 and an NV610.
  13. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    And don't forget to demo the Tech21 Landmark 600 Head.... SERIOUS tone and volume! :bassist: