Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thank you, Talkbassers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJXT, Jan 26, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well, after asking "mucho" questions about combos, and asking for backgrounds, good/bad experiences, advices ... etc ... I wanna thank all those who replied to my posts, those who posted interesting threads (for me ;) ), 'cause I finally bought my new amp : a Warwick CCL (250W RMS, 15" + Horn).
    [​IMG]
    I rehearse with it last night (without PA except for singing) and it was freakin' good.
    I was a little worried about the overall volume (will it be loud enough ?) and since it's new, I didn't want to crank it all up, but with half gain, third volume, it was enough.
    It has a really deep low sound (with bass boost on but no special EQing), very punchy and nice sharp "slap attacks" with the horn+High Boost on.
    It feeds my needs, I love the sound, that's the main thing, I guess.

PS : what does GAS stands for ? Whatever it means, I think it has got me ... I bought the amp last night and was already looking at effects this morning.

[Edited by NJXT on 01-26-2001 at 10:21 AM]

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    GAS=Gear Acquisition Syndrome. :D

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Ok ... now I'm sure that's what I recently caught.
    Are you contagious, guys, or what !?!

;)

[Edited by NJXT on 01-26-2001 at 10:15 AM]

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Glad to see all the money, sweat, and time I wasted on animal shelter gear did someone some good. Now that you have a class amp, don't get snotty.

5. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Sorry, I don't get the word "snotty" (neither does Altavista/BabelFish translation thingamabo).
    ???

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Good choice m8. I thought it would be right for you. I've still yet to rehearse with mine yet (I'm doing that tomorrow), but it sounds like it worked great for you, and was more than ample

7. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Yep !
    Your thread in the bass forum ended killing my last doubts :). Thx again, no regret about the amp !
    The salesman told me to go easy on volume for at least 40 hours of use, to "I-don't-know-the-english-word" the speaker (Am I crystal clear ? I don't think so). But I die to really crank it up once :D
    And to tweak it more to find "my sound" (tons of possibilities with the 3 bands EQ + middle frequencies knob + Attack + Punch + Low and High boosts + external effects), though I already like the sound, "as is".
    Please, post your impressions after rehearsal.

[Edited by NJXT on 01-26-2001 at 10:59 AM]

8. rickbass

I'm the one who is sorry. Your English is so great I forgot your profile mentioned Lyon. "Snotty" has to do with the nez and sticking it up in the air because a person thinks they are better than others.

Alors, je suis un etourdie, quelquefois. Je regrette.

9. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thank you for explaining that. I'll try to remember it and use it from time to time (the mental image is pretty clear ;) ) and not getting snotty.
    As for my english, your french seems to have nothing to envy !
    You know Lyon ?

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Finanlly rehearsed with the CCL. In a word, fantastic.
    Honestly, really quick and easy to dial up a good sound, and plenty of headroom. With just a quick turn of the punch control, I can go from a smooth jazz bass to a P-bass/stingray growl. I only now use my Zoom BFX for a touch of compression and the defret effect, but when I finish building my fretless, I probably won't need the FX anymore.

The best £679 I ever spent.

11. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Glad to see you are as pleased as I am with it.
    IMO, the only lack on this combo is a built-in compressor effect. But I will had a stomp-box one I think.
    Just curiosity, what was your gain/volume and EQ settings during rehearsal ?

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I think I had the gain set on about 7, master volume was 5 or 6. Turned up the bass a tad, the mid frequency shift down to around 400Hz, the mid control down a touch to about 4, and the treble left where it was. I tuned the attack down to sop finger noise without losing treble and used the puncht o alter the erm..,punchiness., I may of used to bass boost button as well.

Most of this probably wouldn't be of much use though as we're not using the same basses, but if it does great. But as you can see, I didn't really tweak it al that much, just a tad here and there.

13. rickbass

NJXT- I don't know it as much as I would have liked because I thought it was so beautiful with the Rhone Alpes setting. Plus, (as almost all Americans say), the people were so much nicer than the Parisians. Saw the Cathedral Saint Jean, the Lumiere Institute and ate pommes paillasson, all the "touristy" things (like smoking Gitanes). Hope to get back someday soon. I think you are fortunate to live there.

14. The salesman said dont turn it up for 40 hours! That is utter rubbish, the salesman does'nt know what he is talking about. Quel imbecile!

15. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Yes, he did.
    Is it that stupid ?
    I think it was to spare the speaker. To let it gain some elasticity ?

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think rickbass1 meant "snooty", meaning boisterous and derisive, especially around people with gear that might be considered "inferior" (like my GK 400RB and Peavey 210TX rig)

Will C.:cool:

17. rickbass

I think rickbass1 meant "snooty", meaning boisterous and derisive, especially around people with gear that might be considered "inferior" (like my GK 400RB and Peavey 210TX rig)

Will C.:cool: [/B][/QUOTE]

Nawsir, us roun' hear say a feller's a "snot" cuz "snooty" is too Cadlack. (We also believe that if you put Minute Rice in a microwave and set it for an 1/2 hour, you'll go back in time).

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    But the bucket is broken, dear Liza, dear Liza...:D

Will C.:cool:

19. Alexvs

Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    GAS = Great American Sound..... as far as I know...

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    That's a nice looking amp, NJXT - I think I've caught that GAS off you! :D

Just wondering, do you support the Lyon football (soccer) team? I nearly went to Lyon when Blackburn played them a few years ago, but couldn't go in the end.