1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thank You TB Instruction Forum

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by smartinson, Feb 19, 2016.

1. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Greeley, CO
    I just wanted to say a quick thanks, specifically for this sub forum. I'm mostly a lurker here, been around for years but rarely have anything to say. I mostly just read and absorb.

Why I'm saying thanks is that for the past couple of years, I've been kinda stagnant in my playing. I still enjoy playing and always have fun but I felt like I wasn't learning anything except songs. And while that's good, I was not getting the 'whys'. Why are they choosing those specific notes, or why does this seem to work.

So, from this forum I've learned about some great teachers and teaching materials, (books, software, YouTube, etc...) and now I finally feel like I'm growing again. The video that really triggered for me was from Scott Fitzgerald and is walking bass series. He explained it so well and now I've taken to find jazz standard chord charts and trying to transcribe my own lines using his methods. I feel like I'm learning something new everyday, and even better, retaining that knowledge.

So, thanks all, you've helped this old bass player a lot!

2. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Greeley, CO
    Whoops, yes, you're right. It was both actually, my dyslexia strikes again.

Fat Steve likes this.