Thank You to all the Veterans and Veteran's families.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stewie26, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Just want to say thanks for your service to the many veterans and to the many veteran families we have here on Talk Bass.
    I am not a vet, but my older brother was in South East Asia during Nam as a K9 handler and my dad, RIP, was in the Pacific Theater island hopping during WWII. If you are a vet or someone in your family is or was, please speak up. Again, thanks all for your service.

Dad during the occupation of Japan.
    LaMar Japan 1945     012.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Aberdumbie, GregC, smperry and 3 others like this.
  2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    and what better day to say thank you for your service than on veteran's day!

smperry and Stewie26 like this.
  3. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Any time I buy a poppy from a vet I thank them for their service. It always seems to mean a lot to them. My grandfather fought the Japanese in New Guinea and, from what my mom tells me, it damaged him on a profound level. I just can't imagine going through what so many vets have gone through and the least I can do is to say thank you.

GregC, smperry and Stewie26 like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Father in Vietnam, Father in-law Korea.

GregC, smperry and Stewie26 like this.
  5. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I think I’ve said this before but it’s worth repeating.

I’m technically a Vietnam-era veteran. But I strategically served in a cushy non-combat Air Force tour in KBD’s Land of Smiles. So I don’t really consider myself a legitimate veteran.

The *real* Veterans served in places like Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan (just to name a few). I have huge respect for any vet who’s served in real combat zones. If they were being shot at or something, I honestly believe they should be rewarded by our country with pretty much free everything for the rest of their life.

Aberdumbie, GregC, smperry and 2 others like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You are still a real veteran, my friend. And thank you.

7. You devoted a portion of your life to serving your fellow country men and women back home. Thank you for your service.

FilterFunk and smperry like this.
  8. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Nah.

I got caught in the last year of the Vietnam-era draft lottery. That year they called up everyone with a lottery number up to 70. My number was 69.

When I got my draft notice, I had a couple of options. Do nothing and go to the Army, probably being assigned to some kind of combat role in Vietnam. Or, volunteer for one of the other less-hazardous branches of the military like the Navy or Air Force.

I talked to an Air Force recruiter. They gave me some kind of entrance exam to score my intelligence. The test covered four areas, like math, mechanics, and something something. I don’t know how but I aced it in all four areas. I think the maximum score in each area was 85 and I got 4 x 85s. To this day I have no idea how because the test seemed pretty straightforward! I mean I was a C+/B- student in high school.

So after basic training, due to those high test scores, I had some non-combat career field options. Ended up as an electronics technician in Thailand, far far away from anything hazardous to my life or limbs.

It was like Fortunate Son, except I did technically serve my country. But I am not a real veteran.

9. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I am like you. I participated in my granddaughters school assembly for Veterans Day on Friday. Sitting there among WWII, Korean way, Vietnam and Desert Storm vets I felt rather low being a peacetime Cold War vet. I say they let all us old washed up vets go serve in harms way and bring these wonderfully brave young folks back home.

OldDog52 likes this.