Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thanks Detroit Bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by KJung, May 12, 2005.

1. I didn't know quite where to put this thread, but wanted to say how great it was to meet all the bassists that showed up at LowDown Sound yesterday afternoon/evening for the 'TalkBass' hang. I'm new to the area, and it was a great 'welcome'. Thanks to 'Mikebass' in particular for coordinating and getting it going. We all got to play/see some wonderful instruments.... FBass, Sadowsky, Alembic, Stambaugh, Celinder, Fender, Wall and some so exotic that I can't quite come up with the names.

Also, the LowDown guys are very cool... good players themselves, knowledgable, and with a sense of humor! What a great shop.

:bassist:

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Awesome! Wish I could have been there, what with being new to the area as well.

What went down?

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, Low Down Sound is a great shop. It's great to finally come to a shop where people know their stuff and really care about it. If only it was closer to my house.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Drugs, sex, rock & roll. A typical Wednesday in Detroit.

Seriously, though....Thor came into town from Rhode Island so a few of us met at Low Down Sound and goofed around with each others basses as well as some of the really nice basses in the shop.

Later that evening we met up at Memphis Smoke on Main St. in Royal Oak and cried in our beer while the Pistons gagged and dropped Game 2 to the Pacers. Pretty cool evening.

Peace,

James

5. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    too bad i couldnt have been there.....i'll have to check out the next one....

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Aw.... too bad i live in MN. I guess I could've road tripped it.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Yeah, K it was cool, I have a feeling you could bring in an interesting instrument everyweek for us to check out! Great time and we are going to a bigger one on a Saturday to get the Ohio boys up here!

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We'll have to really plan one of these events as a real GTG & jam so folks have a chance to meet, relax (adult beverages) and play (lotsa gear and a place to spread out) to their hearts content. That takes time, a good location, and a sticky. We'll commit to doin' this within the year...

Right?

9. You gotta lose your mind in Detroit, Rock City... Get up!

10. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm over in Grand Rapids, count me in for a future GTG. Wish I could have joined you all at LDS!