1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thanks Fella's! (PUP project)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by smo, Apr 7, 2006.

1. I finished re-pupping my latest project bass just recently - thought i'd (shamelessly) share it with you fella's
    I like to thank all of you who helped to point me in the right direction. (and also the search function;) )
    This is a cheap n crappy passive Yammy RBX-260 to start with. The neck had had a little work (dressing) and is actually very nice considering it's had 10 years of playing (and dropping) on it.
    BEFORE :eyebrow:
    IMG_0140.

Insert a Basslines SMB-4A and a STC-3M3 preamp.
    I refinished the body, as the old finish was *ahem* looking a bit, "How d'you do". Recontoured the upper face and back of the bass, making it more comfortable to play. Then i made up a scratch plate to hide the ugly P-style pup hole.
    I also installed a series-parallel switch too.
    AFTER :)
    IMG_0187.

Me Happy - me very happy.
    It's still not my main bass - but it's no doubt gonna get played a shload more.:cool:
    Thank heaps fella's - couldn't have done it without you!
    smo

2. bpocall

bpocall

Jun 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, killer job. That looks great.

3. Great work, Smo!

I really dig the finish and electronics choice!

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    same bass I started with, nice work.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    That looks great, but ive got one question. Why didnt you just leave the P pickup there?

6. Well - I thought about it. The standard pickups were very average. Didn't matter how much i dug in - couldn't get the sound i wanted - so i thought i'd use the bass as a guinea pig.
    My current main bass is a Fender Jazz rip-off, decent one too, so i thought i'd go for something a little different.
    What i wanted ideally, was a jack-of-all-trades bass that does everything well. The stinger came to mind - so i modelled it on that. Pup position came down to comfort really, but it's actually very close to where the stinger would be in relation to the frets.

These projects are getting addictive - I keep ending up planning for more before I even finish the current one!:p

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Very very nice work. Love the paint job you did on it.
    The orange with the black pickguard looks great.

Quick question, how have you set up the elctronics in terms of the Pots?

8. that looks aweosme.

i'ver always wanted to do that.

9. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    wow that's impressive. what's the tone like now? does it bark at you like a dog? : )

i've got a basslines pup in my SR5, its fantastic.

10. Actually it's a trick of the light (morning photo) - its not quite orange - it's 'New Maple' wood stain.

Going from neck to bridge;
    The pots are VOL/Slap Switch - Series/Parallel switch - Mid Range - Bass(big)/Treble(small)

Tone wise - it barks, growls and does everything a Stinger is known for, and is flexible enough to get me that thud should i turn all the treble and Mid off. The only thing it doesn;t do really well is slap. I'm not 100% sure why, but I haven't had to much time lately to fiddle with the bass to set it up just right (home hunting) But overall - i'm quite surprised just how well this mod has done.
    smo

11. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    whoa! It took me a second to realize I was looking at the same bass. Great job!