1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks Flint MI.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Croox, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
  2. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I've gotta agree! I'm sure we all did/do/will do some goofy stuff as teens, sometimes just to be rebellious, fashionable, hip, whatever.........but this is just ridiculous! :rollno:

(Suddenly, I feel as though I have become my father. :rolleyes:)

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Wow. Flint, Michigan's biggest problem is pant positioning?

The gov't doesn't bother to protect the good jobs that helped build the city and lets them slip away, destroying lives and the economy, but dedicates time to monitoring slipping pants?

I'm insulted.

4. Yeah, it's pretty stupid and ridiculous looking, but is it really a "national nuisance"? Who is it actually hurting? I can understand where he is coming from with the indecent exposure thing, but that would only apply to seeing someone's butt. Otherwise, you're still looking at clothing, and that's not exposure. Part of what underwear does is keep you from exposing yourself. ;) So how could seeing boxers still be indecent exposure? :)

He goes on to say that it is "[an] immoral self expression [that] goes beyond freedom of expression." How is it immoral? I didn't realize that the height of one's pants determined their morality.

What really boggles me is the bit where he says that "the style also gives police probable cause to search those wearing no-rise jeans." How does that even work? You have saggy pants, therefore you must be hiding something, or engaging in some sort of illegality that you can contain in your pants?

I completely agree with the lawyer they quote in the article as saying that it's a waste of resources. Couldn't the time and law enforcement be spent on much better things? What will getting people to wear their pants at an "acceptable" achieve? Will it lower crime, or prevent violence, or drug trafficking?

I find it very much amusing that people think this is a huge deal that threatens them to the point where they needed legislation passed to keep it under control.

Again, how is this disruptive? The same principle that can solve this issue applies to so many things: stop looking if you don't want to see it. Why people have such an incredibly hard time implementing this is utterly beyond me. And why the woman I quoted seems to think that people should be made to do community service as punishment is beyond the realm of my logic, particularly her last line.

But I digress. The supposed necessity for people to face fines and jail time for wearing their pants in a certain way baffles me. I fully support dealing with people who are indecently exposing themselves, but indecent exposure can be dealt with under current legislation and does not need additional laws introduced to deal with it.

This seems to be a bit of a double standard, in my opinion. Men who wear their pants too low get fined/jailed for disorderly conduct and indecent exposure, but what about women who wear booty shorts which ride up past the bottom of their butts? Or a girl in a bikini shows as much, if not more, skin than a guy with his low riding pants.

To reiterate, because this has turned into a bit of a babbling rant: I think it's a stupid trend, it's ugly and ridiculous. But I don't think it is a massive, nationally-disruptive problem that needs to be dealt with using special legislation, nor do I think the consequences are appropriate for the given 'crime.'

All of this is, of course, nothing but my own humble opinion. :)

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    So Chief Dicks is cracking down on exposed butts?:bag:

Joking aside, this takes it a little far. I agree with the above poster that said that it can count as indecent exposure if the person's buttocks were showing, but if he is wearing shorts or briefs underneath, what's the problem? If you don't like it, don't look. Simple. I don't like green-colored shirts. Let's ban those!

The chief's quote is also a little bit disturbing, saying that "it is immoral and goes beyond freedom of expression". Who is he to decide what is and is not moral, and who is he to decide what qualifies as freedom of expression? It would be interesting if this law get challenged and goes to the Supreme Court.

Furthermore, doesn't Flint, MI have some of the highest crime rates of any city in the US? You would think they would invest their money in other crime stopping programs.

6. the real crime is so out of control they can't really do anything to stop it. they are simply exercising control over what little they can control.

Flint is what happens when Unions get too big and powerful.

7. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    As I read these replies, I can't help but agree with everyone who said that this is probably a waste of police resources (don't they have more important things to worry about?), but I still stand by my original opinion.........those saggy pants are just plain dumb. (And I guess I'm officially old.) :scowl:

8. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    It is a waste of resources, but I'm sick of seeing other peoples asses hanging out of their pants i worked with a kid who wore pants like that, I always yelled at him for it.

I'm 25 and I posted this article.
    lame ass fad :scowl:

9. Excellent! :rollno:

10. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Gotta love that headline!

Watch that your butt isn't exposed or else dicks will get it!

11. HashbrownCOBM

HashbrownCOBM

May 6, 2008
    This is ridiculous. Kids have been wearin their pants like this since I was a teenager and I'm 35. Who cares. Build some more prisons cuz that's where the trend started.

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Did anyone consider how ridiculous that first picture is? It looks to me like the kid is completely fine. I don't really consider that sag, just abuse of authority.

and how about this graphic:

[​IMG]

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Serious question: How do these kids wear their pants so low that the belt line is below their buttocks, yet the pants don't fall down around their ankles?

Are their pants sewn to their underwear???

:confused:

DUMBEST FAD....EVER

You might as well wear a tee-shirt that says "I am a moron".

14. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV

That's what I was tryin' to say! :D

15. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    the great Denis Leary once said

16. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    yeah, when i saw the photo, i had the same thought

...i've seen plenty of women lately who'd be guilty of indecent exposure based on that graphic!

17. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    Makes me ashamed that I live in Michigan.