Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thanks for the 2nd-hand smoky gear!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JRBrown, Feb 18, 2005.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Just venting.

Today I received a nice piece of gear via UPS. I had to break the box down to get it into my car. As I'm driving home from the UPS center, I smelled cigarette smoke--it was coming from the item. :eek:

A note to Smokers: Non-smokers can smell it.

Finally, I understand why folks add "smoke free" to thier forsale adds.

JB

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :(

sorry

now that i have kicked smoking for almost three months, i can smell smoke! bummer, but my gear smells like it too.

one idea....buy some Ozium (sp?) or Febreeze - both of those products work great for any funk....

:)

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I smoked for 16 years but have NOT smoked for the last 9 years. :) Some 10 years ago, I tried to return a new pair of jeans to a store. The manager refused the refund because the jeans reeked of smoke from hanging in my bedroom closet a couple of weeks.

JB

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    My carpet covered speaker cabs, gig bags, and even some of my "guitar" straps smell like smoke from playing in smokey bars. I sold a "smokey" speaker cab, but made the buyer aware of the smokey condition before the deal was closed.

5. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks,

The Febreeze appears to be working following two "spray, scrub and let dry" applications. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Thanks again,

JB

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Almost forgot! CONGRATS for kicking the habit!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

7. I used to wonder why people worried about how their equipment smelled, but an electonics-savvy friend pointed out the fact that ciggie smoke gets inside, coats connections, gums up pots, etc. So it may not just stink...

and yes, congrats to all quitters.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    No offense, but if you are sensitive to smoke or just don't want to buy used gear that has been exposed to smoke, ask about it before buying. I play in bars alot as do many other musicians and all my stuff has been exposed to smoke. I did lose a sale because of it once. It didn't upset me because I respected that persons opinion about not buying gear that was exposed to smoke.

9. Almost every piece of equipment that is used for live performance in the real world is going to smell like smoke.

All of my equipment is used for live performance in the real world, that's why I bought it. If you're a non smoker and play at home or in a smoke free studio exclusively, I can see your point.

Actually, in a wierd sort of way, I like the smell because it reminds me of good times with my bandmates and people having fun when we play.

10. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I understand both your remarks. If I played live, I'd be in tune with the smoke consequences and leave all smoky gear in the garage. However, I don't play live. The bulk of my gear is in my computer/play room. I also have a small bass/headphone setup next to my bed. I'm not sensitive to smoke but I don't like random whiffs of a butt-can while I play or sleep.

I would not decline a purchase simply because the owner smoked; I'd be better prepared to clean it. My last purchase is smelling much better. Two days and two bottles of cleaner later, it's smelling like fresh bloomers. :D And that's a good thing.

Attached Files:

11. [[[sniff sniff]]]

Smells fine to me.

12. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    lol , who the heck is she ?

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Cigarette smoke and stale beer...gives your equipment character! :p

Drew B. is smokin' hot!!

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Hmmm I thought Drew was doing the drummer from The Strokes.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Depends where you play. Here in CT, there's no smoking in bars, restaurants, and most clubs (with the exception of the occasional "cigar friendly" place), and other surrounding areas (New York, etc.) have the same policy. If you live in one of these areas, it's not true anymore that you have to deal with the smoke.

16. Canberra is starting to become like that and I think it's wonderful. I don't smoke, but I've got a keen sense of smell and I can't stand it when people smoke near me. It's particularly bad when you are trying to eat. So far it's been banned from all restaurants and some clubs I believe. I understand the local government is trying to ban it from just about everywhere indoors. It's also good to know that I don't have to passive smoke someone elses cancer stick when I go out.

17. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    JR,

If the smoky cab in question was the Schroeder in the picture, one thing to consider is the a distinct sweet-smoky smell that people have reported them having when they ship. I bought mine new and it definitely had it. Like Jorg was smoking a pipe while making them. :) Some have commented that they like the smell; I personally couldn't stand it.

After a few months it's gone away, though. Just a thought.

I've used the Febreze trick as well in the past, and it works. It's just a pain in the rear to do it after every gig. :p

18. I'm probably putting myself at risk of being burnt at the stake by saying so, but could I just say that I find the pious rantings of some non smokers (and especially ex-smokers) just as offensive as they evidently find the smell of tobacco smoke. :bag: :bag: :bag: ;) ;)

19. Even if you ignore whether smoking is bad for you or not, I simply can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. It's not a personal thing against people who smoke - I'd guess you probably don't like the smell of puke, non-showered person, flatulence or an unflushed toilet either. It just isn't pleasant to me, and apparently many others.

Now imagine being in a restaurant where some smell you similarly don't enjoy is in the air. If someone was flatulating uncontrollably, it would cause me to lose my appetite. I'd sure appreciate it if they went outside to do it. Same thing with smoking - smoke if you want. We all know the health risks. We're all adults here so whatever... I can even sympathise with why they do it and I realise that they are addictive.

I simply prefer not being around cigarette smoke. It makes me involuntarily, physically nauseous. It is certainly an inconvenience and expense to get jackets etc dry cleaned more often to get the smell out. It's not quite as annoying as perhaps someone peeing on me when I go out, but it is not as far behind as you might imagine.

And I happen to believe that secondhand smoke is probably bad for you too. If you don't believe it, well expose yourself to as much as you like... but please don't make me do it. I may get a kick out of inhaling asbestos, but it wouldn't be fair for me to make you do the same just because I don't think it's harmful.

Sorry for the long rant... I just wanted to make the case that we don't dislike cigarette smoke purely to get on your nerves. It's not a pious thing for me... I just don't like it. :)