1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks for the funk!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Jun 12, 2007.

1. As some ppl may know my band do "Play That Funky Music" and I know it's not strictly funk, but I've struggled with getting a good feel for the song, and the band has complained.

Cut a long story short I worked extra hard to get it happening, ended up writing that little lick down and when we jammed it, I did OK I thought. I hit the licks 1st and 3rd time around, and on the last verse/finish the drummer threw his sticks and the beat.

I held the beat until he got back in then as he was lost we just went on a little impromptu jam and I did a little off beat work and other quick poppy fills etc. I helped trainwreck the song and as we ended it I saw the guitarists smiling a bit.

I apologised for still not being 100% and the guitarist got a ticked off staring at me and just said "Mate, that whole song was YOU! I can see you've worked on it a lot, and thanks we were getting worried you old metal head. Keep it up".

So thanks you funky TB'ers. Wouldn't have done it without your help!! :bassist:

And I know that lick now too, without cheating :)

2. danders

danders

Mar 19, 2007
    Forest Grove, OR
    I've had that song stuck in my brain for the last couple of weeks. Don't know why. I've got it on vinyl someplace but I bet it's been almost 30 years since it's been played.

3. Must be my kindred spirit mate, thats why! :)

Just leave it there! I've played it enough in the past few weeks for the both us hey and now, I can't get it outta my head either. And Bootsy. James Brown. Jamiriquai. It's all good!!

4. KidFunky

KidFunky

Jul 15, 2005
    Jeepers, that sounds like a fun band considering the material! Nice one!

5. Yo dude if you can't nail Play That Funkyu Music ( and I bet you do) TO THE WALL well its time to shed....And yes you do OWN the song And RUN the band cause it's all you

DA BASS !!!!! :hyper:
    I am now listening to Dish TV Disco channel ....sa no more da bomb

Capt. K

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021