1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thanks from a rookie URB player !!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DaveB, Nov 21, 2001.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm an electric bass player who has been hanging out here for some months. I haven't posted much because I really didn't know enough about URB's to make a useful comment.TalkBass and Bob Gollihur's site have been my source of information.
    A couple of months ago I found a 1962 Kay in great shape (its my first URB) and on the advice I found here did a few things:
    * got it set up professionally
    * selected strings based on advice found here
    * bought a Bass Max from Bob(works great)
    * practiced my brains out

So where am I now?
    *getting reasonably proficient - given the goal of using the URB once in awhile in my blues/classic R&B band gigs
    *sorry I didn't take up the URB years ago
    *thinking about taking lessons- if I can find the right teacher
    * I sense that practicing the URB has made me a better electric player - I have no idea why!
    *the Kay is in such good shap and looks so cool my wife lets me keep it in the living room - my electrics have never been accorded that honor.

Anyway, thanks to you all. The comments and opinions I read here have been invaluable. Special thanks to Bob Gollihur - good product and good advice over the phone.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Sounds great, Dave!

You mentioned having the bass set up - quite often a luthier can turn you on to teachers in your area, since he just may see them as customers.