Thanks JimK

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BenHack, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Hey Jim

I just got a couple of Liquid Souls albums and they're great so thanks for the recomendation. I'm a huge fan of Groove Collective and these guys bring sometihng new and kickass to the equation. I sense that these CD's wont be leaving my CD player for a while. Some CD's that you might want to check out are the first 2 albums by an Aussie band called Skunkhour (Self Titled and Feed):). They're kinda like an aussie take on 70's funk (good bass player) with some australian accented rap vocals. Check it out. Anyway thanks for the heads up, cheers and keep grooving.

PS Any other good (ie not smooth Jazz) acid jazz recomendations.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ben- problema.
    Something with a little more edge & rawness in the Acid Jazz department are The Screaming Headless Torsos(OK, a lot more edge!) ;)
    Don't really know if SHT are 'Acid Jazz'...IMO, they're more 'acid' & 'Jazz' than, say, The Brand New Heavies(who I also dig a lot).
    No horns, a lot more guitar work coupled with some very happenin' drums/percusssion & bass work(Fima Emphron) + the "bebop-yodeling" exploits of vox populi, Dean Bowman.
    Check out their first release...not for the faint of heart! ;)

Any more info on Skunkhour? Are they available here in the US? Thanks...
  3. Hey Jim

Thanks for the SHT suggestion. I bought 2 of their CD's a while back and I've really been meaning to give them a more intensive listen. I think one of the ones I have is a live CD and the yodelling is mixed a little high and I find it a bit distracting but hey most of my favourite CD's have grown on me over time.

Not sure about the availability of Skunkhour in the states. I checked on CDNow and they have one of their latest but IMO it's not as good (funky) as their first 2. Perhaps you could have search for some MP3's to see if you like them and then maybe import? Personally I like their take on funk but I definately say that they're a lot more funk than acid jazz. They have brothers taking drum and bass duties which definiatley adds to the feel.

Let me know how you go finding some MP's and I'll see what I can do. Cheers and Keep grooving.

4. Hey Jim

Me again. I looked up Skunkhour on song search ( and they have the debut listed as GO in the general find area and FEED is listed in the special order section. Maybe it's a few too many bucks but there you go. C-YA and keep grooving