Thanks Michael and Steve

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Basslover, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    To Michael, Steve,

Can I just say that after joining 'talkbass' several months ago, it still shocks me to log on and find that Mr. Manring and Mr. Lawson themselves have answered my questions. What a treat to be able to communicate with two of the most amazing musicians I have ever heard, and such an inspiration. The two of you deserve every success and thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedules to discuss the many different facets of solo bass.

Michael, thank you for a truly mesmorising, captivating, inspiring display of musicality in 'Soliloquy'. I can not stop listening to 'I left America' and 'Come with me, my love'. Perfectly melodic with immaculate harmony if I may say so. 'Dabuda's Memory' and 'Helio' are incredibly dynamic;I can not wait to see these two played live. Listening to your polyphonic music, I find it amazing as it sounds like several basses. With Helio, it sounds like several DIFFERENT instruments, I'd say drums, bass, and guitar (you got the whole band there). Also, the last two years you've been here in London, I have had the pleasure of watching you. When are you coming back to the UK?

Lastly, in regards to my VB4 question just to finish up, Michael would you then recommend that bass to someone that wants to focus on altered tunings in the upcoming years?

thanks for all the inspiration,
  2. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    Helio? What or who the heck is Helio? Meant 'Helios' of course, sorry.
  3. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thank you, Brian! It a pleasure to have a chance to share our love for the bass with y’all and we very much appreciate your interest.

I think the VB4 is a good choice for experimenting with altered tunings. Having the composite neck gives you a little extra confidence that you’re not going to get any warping or twisting. Have fun!

I’m hoping to be back in the UK soon, although we haven’t figured out yet exactly when. It is about time for another swing through the Old Country in Steve’s Ford Fiesta!