Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thanks Talkbass for leading me to Gov't Mule

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I first heard about Gov't Mule and Allen Woody via Talkbass. I have since bought as much Gov't Mule as I can find. I can't stop listening to the CDs. I am really pumped now since I just bought two tickets to the Gov't Mule show in Toronto in October. Thanks again for steering me to this band. I still want a jazzy, bluesy, funky gig but a Gov't Mule cover band would be amazing.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I dig Mule as well. Snag yourself some live bootlegs and see how great they really sound!

3. check their new bass player, Andy Hess. Pretty groovin'. He plays on the last Scofield record (Up All Night)

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Be sure and pick up some Joey Arkenstat too!

brad cook

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Pick up the Live DVD it is great!

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hehe, I found this on the Joey Arkenstat page...

Ropeadope and Joey Arkenstat are proud to announce that the new album "Bane" will be released worldwide on August 21st on Ropeadope Records.

The album (Produced by Phish bassist Mike Gordon) was recorded over a series of years, and it came out so well that we swear you can actually taste sweet, sweet ice cream in your mouth as you listen. Let's face it, it took a long, long time to record -- after all, copper is so unspoken of; except among some roofers.

Now back to the Mule talk -
    I love the bass line in Thorazine Shuffle!

7. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    One of my most prized posessions is an Allen Woody pick. Rising Low is a great movie as well.

8. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Where and how?

9. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    The DVD Rising Low is on the way from Amazon as we speak. I really enjoyed the live show on DVD as well.

Roll on OCtober 27. Except for the October weather though.

10. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    bt.etree.org
    http://www.sharingthegroove.org/

Bit torrent file sharing.

You can learn all about bit torrent at the etree site. Sharing The Groove is down for a little while. I think they are upgrading their servers. Keep checking back. They have a pant load of great live stuff you can download. Gov't Mule and many, many, many other bands. Check it out.

11. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
  12. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Sharingthegroove.org has some great stuff on there. There are 2 tapers in particular who put up GREAT quality shows, look up the shows by Phokus and also Sloan Simpson. The band I play with has some shows available there as well (Kevn Kinney's Sun Tangled Angel Revival). Kevn is good friends with Warren Haynes and was good friends with Woody. It was Kevn who gave me Woody's pick. By the way anyone ever see the picture of Woody's bass collection in Bass PLayer magazine?

13. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks for the information everyone. I did order the box set as well as Warren at Bonaroo. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Who else do you listen to in the same vein as the Mule? Great guitar playing, solid groove, interesting changes, with that improvisational thing goin' on.

14. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Maybe you would like some "Aquarium Rescue Unit" or "Stockholm Syndrome"

15. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Robert Randolph might serve you well.

16. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Him I know. great band

17. Check out Widespread Panic. I think their bassist (Dave Schools) is killer. The bass and drum jams on some of their live bootlegs are insanely rowdy. He also plays in Stockholm Syndrome and has toured with Gov't Mule.

I really dig the Steve Kimock Band too. Alphonso Johnson use to play with them but I think someone new is at the helm. The drummer is a phenom. Can't think of his name right now, but you can check their website. Good instrumental stuff. Kimock has a unique guitar tone.

18. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks!!! :eek: Love Steve Kimock. That is exactly what I am looking for. Not so sure about Stockholm Syndrome. I found a site and a little heavy for me it would seem. But I'll try them again. Downloading some Widespread Panic now.

19. You might find Galactic or Sound Tribe Sector 9 enjoyable too. Galactic is some good old New Orleans funk. STS9 is more trance, and electronic, but when they play live they have a guitarist, a bassist, a drummer, and keyboard player.

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The recent Allman Bros. stuff with Warren Haynes & Oteil...& the recent DVDs.
    Somewhat related...Derek Trucks' solo discs.
    Also Frogwings(more Trucks & Oteil)

I second ARU(I would add the earlier stuff is 'maybe' closer to what you want. Maybe, maybe not).