1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thanks Talkbass!! (new rig content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stereo Joe, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Just wanted to say thanks to all the nice folks here who helped me put together my rig and to troubleshoot some of the issues and concerns I had about it. Everything but the Low B2 I bought from a TBer and I couldn't be happier with how the transactions went.
    Here's a pic of the R.I.Q. (rig in question)
    DSCF1125.
    DSCF1127.

Btw, the B2 and B4 are mismatched impedances, so I can't actually run them both - it's one or the other right now.

One last concern:

I'm still not 100% sure I'm sold on the Acmes. They sound FAT, but I found I was having a hard time cutting through the mix in practice and at my last gig. I kept cutting the bass and boosting the mids and highs on my preamp but was still having trouble hearing myself.
    These Acmes also seem to be really finicky about power. The QSC has enough power to push the cabs to the point where the lightbulb inside is glowing, but even at that point, the cabs aren't as crushingly loud as I thought they could be. I'm afraid if I crank my amp too much I could blow the bulb or worse, the speakers.
    Any suggestions for increasing my volume a tad? I'm wondering about different tubes in the SWR for more clean gain.

Or should I just sell the Acmes and get some Edens instead?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The Acmes are well known for their low sensitivity, you might want to consider different cabinets.

3. Hey, finally there are more Acmes in Ottawa!

I am very satisfied with my Acme cabinets. Usually I run my preamp and bass(es) as flat as possible with only minor tweaks for the room if needed. A "deep switch" is not your friend, as it will rob you of power and headroom. Also, I set the tweeter and mid attenuators back to the 2 or 3 position. I hope this helps.

4. If the 2x10 is 8 ohm and the 4X10 4 ohm you should try running stereo. If it's the other way around then bridge the amp into the 4x10. Plenty of power, and should be plenty loud. 800 watts will get you 128dB if the amp is near a wall. Decouple the cabinet from the floor (you don't need the extra bass and it just muddies your sound) by setting it up on a couple of chairs or a low table.

Roll off bass until your sound is still warm but not overly fat. Better? Roll off some more bass until it sounds just a bit thin and slightly boost the mids (really low mids since that control is centered at 200 hz). Keep the aural enhance knob turned almost all the way off.

You really need a parametric mid in order to find and dial in the 600-1200hz mid/upper bump you need to cut. Unfortunately, the IOD doesn't have one. You might want to try an EH12AX7 tube, I've found they are bit more mid forward and help de-scoop the SWR sound. Another option is an inexpensive parametric like the Presonus 3 band. With it you can dial in the mids you need.

Or get some cabs that have that mid range bump built in.

good luck,
    Joe

ps - maybe try some strings that will give some more upper mids and cut. Finding the right string was for me the final piece of the sound puzzle that allows me to run my Acmes relatively flat. -J

5. Thanks for the tip! I'll try this out next rehearsal. I REALLY want to figure these cabs out. Maybe I'm just used to the mid bump in most cabs that I've played because these Acmes seem 'mid-scooped' to my ears. I absolutely LOVE their tone for slapping, but I slap about 10% of the time typically.

What kind of music do you play? Do you have any shows coming up? I like to support fellow musicians (especially bassists) in the area!

6. A LOT of helpful information there! I'm trying to avoid adding anything else to my rack, so I'll see if I can get my hands on an EH preamp tube to try. Do you have any suggestions for what kind of low end filtering I should use on my QSC? I can run it with no filtering, 30Hz or 50Hz (although the 50Hz adds a low bump to try to make a fatter sound - something I DON'T need) I am running it bridged into the 8 ohm B4 btw.
    I'll try putting the B4 on top of the 2X10 and see if that gives me better projection.

Thanks again!!

7. Yes, the 30Hz filter will help to protect your 10"s, so you do want to use it.

8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yep! I have played through several Acme cabs and I agree....you have to roll the bass Waaaayyy back on your amp....but they are nice cabs...

And congratulations on the new gear! Ain't it neat!?!?!?

9. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    New rig that is not a markbass?

Does not compute :(.

Just kidding... I've always wanted to try those acme cabs. I've heard nothing but good about them.

10. I actually sold my Little Mark II to help fund these purchases....
    :bag: