1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks TB for saving me $$$$ on a P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkhorse1962, Jan 31, 2017.

1. I decided to get my first P bass a couple weeks ago. I decided on an American Standard due to the comments here and the potential resale value.

Found a used one listed at Guitar Center, brought it home and proudly showed pictures of it here (see below)

It was quickly (but kindly) pointed out that what I had was a Highway One and not an American Standard. I had never heard of a Highway One, but sure enough. That's what I had.

Turns out the Guitar Center had listed it incorrectly as an American Standard and even apparently paid its previous owner an American Standard price.

Since that time I found another actual real American Standard through Guitar Center. I was going to return the Highway One since I wasn't about to pay $799 for a used H1. The manager says he's willing to sell it to me for what a Highway One should cost instead of having me return it.

So my question (I know it's a bit out of bounds to do this, but) what is a good price for a used Highway One in really good condition? I can't find anyone on line who is selling them. Any advice, or should I just return it?

[​IMG]

2. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Some Googling suggests normal used price should be about $450-$600.

3. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    American Standards are well worth the money, but I couldn't tell you the difference between that and the H1.

4. Fenderon

Fenderon

May 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I would try the American Standard before buying either bass at any price. I have an American Standard P and Jazz bass. Love them both. I haven't played a Hwy 1, couldn't say anything about them. There's lot's of love around here for them.

wintremute likes this.
  5. I found that I like my HW1 better than any other Fender P-bass I have had the chance to try, including several American Standards. The price, like jasonmatthews pointed out, should be around 450-600. I payed the equivalent of 500 dollars for mine. It's got a few dings and scratches, but the price included a good hardcase and shipping.

Take it back to the store, and while you are there, try the Am Std. If you like it so much better that it justifies to higher price, then go for it. If not, go for the HW1. It's a very nice bass in it's own right, and it's got some different features compared to the Am Std. What's the dealer considering a used HW1 price to be, btw? Offer him 500, I would say.

REMBO likes this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    looks like the guy is not going to bitch around with the price. That is cool!:cool:

so compare the two basses and see if the AmStd. is worth the difference (something between 250-350)

if you stay with the Highway: look what your dealer's got in his shop (used hardcases?, strings!........)

For your collection (nice one by the way) you can get a lot of stuff:D (and your dealer will love that too)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

7. $600 is a top dollar price for one. Me and lots of others bought them new for around $445 when they blew them out and discontinued them, this was around xmas 2010. I got a Jazz and a P, both for under $900.

8. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I got one in mint condition for $450, which is a pretty hot price. The Highway One's are VERY nice instruments. Some really prefer the nitro coatings on these because they seem lighter and more resonant. I believe some (perhaps all) of these had the grease bucket tone circuit in them, which some people like and some people don't. They also (most of them) came with the BadAss II bridge (which yours apparently has). Some consider this hi-mass bridge an upgrade to the standard bent plate bridge (I did) but again that is a matter that is up for debate. I think GC regularly sells these models for the neighborhood of $599 used in really good condition.

Hope that helps.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Ah, a non support member asking for his selling price quote? Comeon. I]m selling my Fodera for $8000,.!

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Cant comment on price, but fwiw, I'm on a road trip for a couple shows. My H1 is with me. The American Standard is home in the case.

FingerDub likes this.
  11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got a couple highway one jazz basses and i like them pretty good. They are both nice basses. One was a gift so i don't know what it cost, and it also came in an SKB44 case so there could well have been some kind of deal on the package. The second one ran me $600.00 out the door, if you don't count the mini vacation we took to drive and pick it up. One is red and the other is black and i've been kinda sorta looking for a white one. I've seen pricing on ebay from a high of $1200 to a low of $700 for used examples but that's ebay so goofyness is to be expected. I've also seen several basses listed as highway one's that are most definately not what they are claimed to be. In the real world i have yet to see a white one for sale. The other colors i've looked at ranged from $400 for a real beater to $600 for one that could have been sold as new if the protective stuff on the guard had not been peeled off.

Based on the local GC policy and the prices i've seen highway one j basses selling for i doubt they gave more than $250~$350 for a highway one.

If you decide you want it and considering they need to make nice for an expensive error, i'd go in at $400 and pass at $500 unless the piece was spotless, then maybe $550 if you really like it.

12. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    there is one H-1 p-bass on the GC used site, you can compare price there.

13. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I wouldn't pay more than 15 bucks for it.

14. jasonmatthews

jasonmatthews

Jul 10, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I like your negotiating style.

Flaked Beans likes this.
  15. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Yeah, P-Bass, yeah, American Highway standard on sale...Now - Can we get a better picture of that 5-string Ibanez? Is that spalted maple? It looks pretty gorgeous.

comatosedragon likes this.
  16. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC

DevinWard369 likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

He's not asking for input on a his selling price. He's asking what he should pay for one - which is completely within the rules - as admin Bob Clayton recently clarified in another thread.

So, the OP is within the rules asking how much do we think he should pay. You saying you're selling yours for $8000 kinda isn't. ;):laugh::thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yep, you're correct sir! but still my last offer is $25 for the HWY1!

40Hz likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Darn! You beat me out. :laugh:

I'd prefer the American Standard myself. (Nitro is great if you're not going to gig it. Otherwise it's a hassle. Been there.) But a Highway 1 is a very nice bass. He really can't go wrong with either. I think the manager wants to just do a price adjustment so he doesn't have to process a return. Usually when you do that, a company requires an explanation. And mis-listing a guitar isn't something that's going to go over too well at HQ.

I would insist they change the description on the bill of sale however. A msimatched description can be a royal pain if you ever need to file for an insurance claim or a police report.

Old scam. Do a "no paperwork" swap of something several states away, wait a year or two and then claim it was stolen. Now you've got the thing you swapped for and maybe some insurance money too.

"Ok bud...you say it's a Highway-1 that they stole - but the bill of sale says it's an American Standard...and there's no serial number match for an American Standard with the number you gave us...so you wanna explain what it is you're trying to pull?"

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Wisebass and Flaked Beans like this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I was recently researching my '06 Fender Highway One (read, not '1') Jazz Bass, and depending on condition, $600-$750 is probably a safe estimate... great bass, just not played enough in my house, right now. I'm thinking the P-basses wouldn't be far off the mark...

IMAG1408.

... I'm thinking they're keepers, cause you really don't see a bunch of them for sale.