1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thanks to Aguilar Amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DrumsAndBass, Oct 12, 2017.

1. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I've had the joy of gigging 4 great pieces of Aguilar gear: the AG 500sc, DB 680, the DB 659 and the Tone Hammer 500. For a variety of reasons I've kept only the TH 500 - one heck of a great amp.
    I've learned how to get a clean and warm tone from all of them with a fair amount of knob and switching. They are all works of art to me and it's been easy to approach the company whenever I had questions.
    I'd love to get a AG 700.
    Thanks again.

SJan3, R_bass, Dabndug and 7 others like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

I have only owned the DB659, and for the past few years now, a Tone Hammer 500. I have not had need to contact Aguilar for anything other than some questions regarding the switchable effects loop on the DB 659.

(Putting on my fake Brit accent) A great piece of kit!

SJan3 and Dabndug like this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I have never owned an Aguilar amplifier but it does my heart good when someone comes out to give a manufacturer props. i’m truly happy for you that you have found your tonal nirvana. :D

SJan3, Ampslut and Suncat like this.
  4. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    I have the TH 500 and the DB751. They are both my dream heads. And they answer any questions or concerns I have.
    I have MarkBass and I have yet to get any response from anybody at that company.
    Much love to Aquilar!

SJan3 likes this.
  5. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Can anyone compare the TH 500 vs the AG 700? I agree Aguilar are a great company.

kpc likes this.
  6. Jeff Scott

I compared the two a few weeks ago at my local SA, too bad you weren't there for it. :woot:

SJan3 and Helix like this.
  7. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    QUOTE="pigpen1, post: 20506846, member: 312504"]Can anyone compare the TH 500 vs the AG 700? I agree Aguilar are a great company.[/QUOTE]
    And what about the AG500 and
    db751 both great amps as well!

8. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    yep sucks for me! Care to elaborate? Which has more low end, more warmth? I would hope the AG is not as mid focused as the tone hammer...

9. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    I just got the AG700 in this week and I'm very happy with it rounding out my Aguilar rig. There's one on Sweetwater now that's a demo at a discount. Maybe I should have waited a week, but now I can spend your money instead and feel almost as good. Right? :D

@pigpen1 I don't have a TH350 or 500 to compare it to, but I waited to get the AG700 because I wanted Aguilar's flatter amp. It's a little bright with the gain dialed up, but otherwise quite flat in my opinion. The "magic buttons" as Dave calls them do pretty much exactly what they claim, one adds top end and one adds bottom. So, I guess with both of them on and the dials flat, it's a bit of a mid scoop. I am not currently using either, but I don't tend to be a "bright" player (neither in tone nor intellect), so I don't expect that I'll ever use the bright one. They would be a little more useful to me if they could be toggled with a foot switch (calling Dave Boonshoft).

10. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    As a very satisfied TH500 owner, I too must echo the sentiment. I get tone that just plain works! My basses always sit just right in the mix.

kpc, Helix and jumbodbassman like this.
  11. Jeff Scott

I don't find the Tone Hammer 500 mid focused at all. It is very well rounded, tonally, in fact.

I did not do the comparo at high volume, quite the opposite, actually so as not to be THAT GUY in the music store, so I can't tell you how much louder the AG700 gets compared to the Tone Hammer 500. Regarding the former, I was not overly impressed with the Q and frequency points of the two mid controls, and I felt that the Deep switch is set at too high a frequency, it was more a low-mid bass boost than what I want from a Deep switch.

I don't plan on selling off my Tone Hammer 500 any time soon, it is the perfect amp (for my needs).

Hope this helps.

kpc, Dabndug and jumbodbassman like this.
  12. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Aguilar makes extremely high-quality stuff.

kpc and pigpen1 like this.
  13. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    I'm with the Aguilar fanclub!
    Love my TH350. Looking back, I maybe should've dropped the extra coin on the 500 but truth be told - I've never had it maxxed out yet on the (bar)gigs we do. We typically play with PA so it's just for stage volume. Don't think I even come close to running out of headroom. Would love to have one of these all-tube amps, but can't get myself to spend that much - and lift that much. Perhaps Aguilar did themselves a disservice when they made the TH's as good as they did :)

Regards
    Mark

14. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    @Mark_70 don't worry, I bet at what it costs to make and distribute, the TH and (new) AG series amps are their real bread and butter :D

Mark_70 likes this.
  15. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    After owning a couple class D amps, I am glad I kept searching and bought my Aguilar TH500. I love the Aggie much more than the others, and the one question I emailed the company was answered in less than 24 hours.

I’m still figuring out the gain, drive, and EQ knob interactions, but I’m stoked on the tones I’m already getting.

16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've been playing a TH500 for a few years now. In fact I liked the amp so much I bought a second one as a backup. It saw off the D800 I bought. Great amp but I just preferred the TH500.

Two days ago I bought the AG700. So far have only used it at home and very quietly. Gigging it this weekend. We'll see after that if it takes over from the TH500.

17. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I love me some Aguilar gear too. Had a gs410 and was the best cab I've owned. Just downsized. Played one of their single 12 vintage looking cabs, and it was great. Love their preamp in my custom 5. Great company, great stuff. Would love a th500!

18. Blues Infidel

Blues Infidel Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2002
    CT
    Somewhere in this thread, someone did a detailed analysis (with graphs and everything) showing what the drive control does. Very enlightening and makes my like me TH500 even more.

Aguilar - Official 'Tone Hammer 500' 3.8lbs 500w Megathread!

SLO Surfer likes this.
  19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    My primary interest would be how the ag 700, stacks up to the mesa subway and quilter bass block, but I can wait a while

20. StoicStrayCat

StoicStrayCat

Oct 20, 2016
    Memphis
    I've never had the pleasure of playing through the Tone Hammer stuff, but I can say without a doubt that my DB751 is the best amp I've ever played through. It just a nice, round tone that fills out anything I'm doing. I've used it in everything from a hip hop gig to some synth pop stuff and it's been perfect every time.

Great, great stuff.

petergales likes this.