1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks to drunk ADULT FEMALE, my Genz-Benz cab died in middle of gig last night.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D Bopp, Aug 20, 2017.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not for the low frequency drivers, not practical (or really possible)

2. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Yeah, so true. I had a GF I dumped way back and she'd go off on me that I liked that song.

3. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Guys, sometimes crap like this happens. It can be part of the show, part of being personable to the audience, part of good audience relations. This kind of thing fortunately doesn't happen very often, and maybe it was worth it??? ;)

I had something like this happen, though it was an entirely different scenario. I'm part of an equine theatrical exhibition show, think putting a tour together with people (and horses) from all over the state and doing between 50 and 60 shows on the road. Been doing it for over 25 years. There's music, acrobatics, trick riding and a tribute to cinema all done with riders and horses. Part of what we do is interact with the audience. Many people have never touched a horse in their life, so to be able to pet a horse is a huge thrill (especially the big, fancy ones). One night after the meet & greet, I notice that my horse (almost white) has orange streaks down her shoulder One of the mounted police riders immediately identified it as BBQ sauce which kind of bummed me out until he said I was lucky it wasn't from the blue cotton candy... that s*it stains like there's no tomorrow. Lesson learned, no big deal, I just had a little more "clean-up on isle 3" to do but nobody got hurt (a very real concern in what I do). It's just part of the job, part of the risk of entertaining.

4. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    I wonder if the girl had any kids. Maybe she was a member of Drunk Mothers Against Drivers.

matante and jamro217 like this.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I asked my wife. She takes no offense to girl. So is it ok now??

Missing two...

matante, bmdfla48 and covermego like this.
  6. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    You can't say "uterus" in here! I'm going into shock...

7. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    Bahaha

jnsnj and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. 2manynotes

2manynotes Inactive

Jun 22, 2012
    dame = nice gams

bmdfla48 likes this.
  9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Well put, @pcake . I miss the days where "boys" weren't scared of calling "girls." World War I and II the servicemen were referred to as "our boys" and they called their girlfriend/spouses "girls." It was all meant to be highly complimentary.

10. Hoyt

Hoyt

Jun 29, 2006
    Saint Charles, IL.
    On a non gender related note, THIS is why I like to have a speaker cabinet that will handle well above what the max RMS of what my amplifier can produce.

I'm always worried about a volume spike from a bad piece of gear, cord, user error, or inebriated bystander.

ficelles and J-Bassomatic like this.
  11. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    go with embiggen - it can also be an adjective if you're in a pinch.

12. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    User error (me) would be first on my list.:)

Hoyt likes this.
  13. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    I just want to go on record and thank each and every drunk adult female. You are why we do it. Thank you. Thank you.

Oddly, bobyoung53, matante and 8 others like this.
  14. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    And that....my friends ,is just .....sad.

15. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Tapē ýôur sliders next time.. or put kîck guard on thére. speakers äre fragged.

16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Haha, that's what came to mind for me as well. The only really safe way to play in public, especially if you play like me :D

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    When I suggest appropriate power to be used with a speaker, this is in fact something that I do consider. It falls under the combination of "good common sense", and the ability to survive "momentary lapses of good judgement" and "accidents".

Generally, matching the "RMS" power handling of the cabinet to the rated "RMS" power of the amp will greatly improve the odds of surviving such "accidents", as many of the more robust amps can deliver more than 1.5x their rated "RMS" power under such "events".

There's not much of a tradeoff, as most speakers start exhibiting significant power compression at their "RMS" power rating anyway, and another benefit is that the speakers tend to last much longer when considering their overall lifespan.

Hoyt and monsterthompson like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Curious how those would sound in a cab the size of the PF112hlf. I would think pretty well, huh? Anyone care to venture a stab at it? Andy, you have any idea how it looks on paper?

Ampeg: Portaflex Series - PF-112HLF

19. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    I am not doing this ever.

bmdfla48 likes this.
  20. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    :rollno:

Sorry about your gear, and that your thread got derailed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021