1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thanks to drunk ADULT FEMALE, my Genz-Benz cab died in middle of gig last night.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D Bopp, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Don't know much about that particular cab. Some cabs like the old peavey cabs I had back in the late 90s early 2000s had these little bulbs in them that would actually glow a little bit through the port if the cab was being pushed too hard and would go out and cause the cab to stop working. Could be that or something else. I had a cab where one time I pushed it really hard and the actual speaker wire inside the cab unhooked from the speaker. I know t sounds crazy but make sure all the wires in the cab are connected to something. I wouldn't think the speakers are totally screwed but Worse case scenario you're out $150-$200 for some good new speakers.

2. Gee, there is just too much wrong in this whole thread to ever fix it. The ruined cab, the inebriated patron who, due to political correctness, must not be assigned a gender by anybody but themselves, the derailing of the thread from one of diagnosing failed components to the correct way to address persons of different ages and genders, the fact that a bassist uses a pedalboard in the first place, and how vulnerable pedalboards can be in real world situations... My, my, I bet Sid Vicious never had this much trouble at a gig ever. It does sound like the speakers got too much power and the voice coils fried. Bad news, but cheaper to replace than a head.

bobyoung53, bmdfla48, 4dog and 3 others like this.
  3. B-line

B-line Inactive

I've not read pages 2-5 1/2, and I'm not going to. By the above comments I can see where this went.
    OP- Your issues with gear are surely able to be diagnosed and repaired or replaced, shame about the costs and the responsibility.
    Of course- no one should be allowed anywhere near where a group is performing. I work on stage risers, and there is Security as well as a designated dance floor, but its not like I haven't been there/done that.

I've worked at places with no stage, no rules, and enough drunk and tipsy patrons to float a battleship, male/female, dancing, or simply happily stumbling around the joint, an accident waiting to happen. More scary is the thought of some of these morons actually driving home, and it happens.

So back to your predicament. Sorry for you. It should not have happened. If your stage plot, if it exists, has an entry-way for a drunk or someone who is not supposed to be in the area, then I can only suggest-that in the future, you ask a buddy
    to keep an eye out and establish an "no-fly" zone,where if anyone ambles or dances near or in, they are ushered away- for your safety and theirs.
    Good thing she didn't fall and break something on her body, then there would be a ****storm of responsibility, for the venue and anybody else as well. It could have been worse.
    I have among others a GB-Neox 210, awesome.
    I would be both angry & sad if anything or anybody messed it.
    But the thing to take away is-its still just stuff (as opposed to injury on a person) and next time- Watch out.

D Bopp likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    And the moral to the story is ....
    I work in a band that lets this happen.
    Sometimes 4-5 drunken young women, ripping mics out of the chords.
    Dropping mics, slicing cables with heels, etc...

5. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

You're THE Dude, Jimmy. Somebody put up a link to the referenced movie in case the old geezer doesn't get it.:smug:

J-Bassomatic and JimmyM like this.
  6. B-line

B-line Inactive

Women, can't live with 'em, Can't live w/out 'em, even if they get drunk and slice your cables!:roflmao:

(Didn't read entire thread, hope its PC, about the Women/Sex thing. And by "SEX" i mean Gender!)

bmdfla48 likes this.
  7. B-line

B-line Inactive

Read entire thread... (Slow Sunday night)
    Interesting. The technical aspects of driver replacement and pedalboard safety have been adressed.
    I now offer this, as to the rest:

Oddly and bobyoung53 like this.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Take off all zig for great justice.

hondo4life likes this.
  9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Have nothing to ad to the subject but the whole girl thing is dumb. My wife even says "us girls are going out tonight". To me it's bizarre that people find so many damn things to be offended by. Call me a boy all you want, I don't care.

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I should. It's s perfectly cromulent word.

11. slagheap

slagheap

Dec 23, 2011
    it's good having agedhorse here.

bobyoung53 and B-line like this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Maybe fine if the size and porting are close to the original NeoX 2 cabinets.

Of course it needs to be mentioned that they are NOT stock 12PR300's, and should not be represented as such.

JimmyM likes this.
  13. B-line

B-line Inactive

+1 Here and whenever the Bat-Signal calls!
    A voice of reason, NOT of opinion, many times.

(Some of that Genz, and now Mesa product ARE the shizz!)

14. Didn't read whole thread...

Was she hot?

bobyoung53, bmdfla48, tzohn and 5 others like this.
  15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Not stated by the OP, but she was clearly very skilled technically as while stepping up to the mic she noted a need for re-EQ-ing the bass and achieved this with a single adept movement of one foot.

16. I'm very sorry for your loss. However, my rule was always (after more than a few 'Talent Nights', beyond drunk guitar-player's-buddy sit-ins, etc.,) 'NO CIVILIANS ON STAGE', as they always stepped in the wrong spot, tripped into the drum kit (yep!), knocked over the standby axe on the stage, and on and on.

If you've gigged for a long time, you could go to work for Farmers' Insurance tomorrow: You know a thing or two, as believe me, you've seen a thing or two !

17. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    The avatar speakers are 16 ohms as far as I know, so you probably wouldn't want to do a 112, if I'm understanding correctly. I have some, and they don't sound ampeggy at all. I like them though. I think they sound a bit growly when pushed hard, although it could be my jazz bass too ;-)

18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Wow, what kind of chords are you guys playing?
    :smug:

19. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    They aren't voiced to be Ampeggy. They do overdrive in a fairly nice way, that's part of the design, and one way they deviate from the stock 12PR300. They are also voiced differently, and have different TS parameters allowing for some target tunings that were not as good (for our intentions) as the stock speakers, I would expect that if somebody was looking for the stock speaker sound that they would not be as happy as with the stock speaker. Especially in a larger box.

20. tubestuff

tubestuff

Aug 14, 2013
    San Pedro, CA
    Just curious, have you put an ohm meter to the speakers yet?

bobyoung53 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021