Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thanks to Samuel and Damon

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Oct 25, 2003.

1. I just wanted to offer a quick word of appreciation to you guys for the work on the TB Sampler. Believe me, West Tennessee is not exactly a hotbed of jazz or quality UB playing and I have throughly enjoyed listening to all the tunes.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    No sweat -- I feel the same way, and there's some FINE players in my neighborhood.

Damon, you da man.

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Sam, it also bears mentioning that you did a fine job on the graphics for the sampler. I do all the artwork for my band's cds and I can certainly appreciate your efforts.

'Course that bass of Arnold's would make anything look good, hmmm?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ermm..isn't this what they call a back-handed compliment?

So... wouldn't it be better the other way round - as in, I see loads of great Bass players, but this still impressed me with the high standard of playing!? ;)

Besides - no matter where you live - surely you can buy recordings of the 'greats', from Amazon or other mail order retailers? :confused:

Not picking on Steve here - but I'm always surprised in Jazz classes when I meet people who have never heard - say Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Ray Brown etc etc. I just think - well what are you listening to and if you aren't listening to Jazz * ,then why do you want to play it!? :meh:

(*insert whatever genre you want for "Jazz" there!)

5. Finding recordings, cds, etc, is not the problem. The fact is that jazz bassists are quite uncommon in this region. There are several in Memphis and Nashville but otherwise it is slim pickings. Most bassists here are like myself--bluegrassers--and while 'grass is tremendously enjoyable to play, it does not require the technical expertise that goes with jazz. In fact, many local players are content with playing 1 5 all night long--something I am making maximum effort to move beyond.

The thing about the Sampler is that I can hear someone play and then actually ask them about a tune, technique, etc. I like Paul Chambers, et al, but it is a little difficult quizzing them about their playing.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

And this is really the crux of the biscuit: After hearing the Sampler, you can put a musical voice to the TB personality and know something about where the comments are coming from. It's one thing to converse with and get advice from a total stranger, and quite another to do the same with someone you know can really play - it adds weight to the discourse. To my ears, everybody on the sampler can play, and after hearing it I'll be keeping my ears open when they talk.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a good point - I suppose I'm taking it for granted, as I can go along to my local Jazz club every Friday and see a variety of great Jazz Double Bassists and talk to them at the break etc.

I also get to go to many workshops etc. where players like this actually show you stuff and answer questions.

I suppose that's why boards like TB are so popular in countries like the US, where there are much bigger distances between you?