Thanksgiving Day alternatives to turkey

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Which of you out there in TB land eat something other than turkey for Thanksgiving?

If so, what do you eat?

Who doesn't like turkey at all?

Answer any, or all questions.

Enquiring minds want to know. :D

BTW, my family is traditional; turkey with all the trimmings.
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    A few years ago,my mom made Lasagne for Thanksgiving, she said she just did not feel like
    doing the whole Turkey thing. We were all surprised, and it was really yummy !!!!!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yum, yum!!! Turkey franks!!! Less bother and all the flavah!!! [​IMG]

Seriously, I'd rather have some crispy-skin duckling rather than turkey. To me, turkey is pretty bland. I guess that's why deep frying it in peanut oil is catching put some zip in it.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    We don't really celecrate TG, but my family usually has raclette or fondue on holidays, which is a great thing IME. You can put lots of different stuff in there so there's something for everybody. You can take your time and talk for hours and still you won't overeat (too much :D).
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Red Beans and Rice.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ah, so your faux-cajun Fuqua name isn't just random Ed, then?

I agree with Rickbass on the bland traditional turkey thing. We do T-giving with the wife's family first, where the turkey is always fried, or even better, smoked. Then we go eat with my family, where it's always a dried-out oven bird - yuck!
  7. One of my nephews keeps talking about this, and my sister keeps telling him it's going to take too much oil to fry it.

Is it really that good?

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Any whole carcass will do. Goose, Duck, whatever. Our neighbors did a suckling pig a few years ago.

It was a little creepy, but good eatin'.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, fried turkey is better than any oven bird I've ever had, and is *much* better than the average oven job. Very moist, and less greasy than you might expect.

I assume it takes a lot of oil. Around here, most people purchase their turkeys fried, or have them fried by a third party. I suppose this makes more efficient use of the substantial amount of oil it takes to bathe a big bird!

Even better (as I posted earlier) is smoked turkey. Mmmmmm. And the leftovers? You haven't lived until you've tasted my mother-in-law's smoked turkey gumbo!

10. we usually have a deep fried turkey mmmmmm

but i usually go for the honey glazed ham cooked with pineapples. the fried turkey is great but waaaaaay too fattening!
  11. Hmm.
    I never celebrated Thanksgiving, what with me growing up in Hong Kong and all that.

But since I'm in the US this year, and I know how to cook, I thought I'd try something at least remotely like what everyone else is doing.

I'm making turkey dumplings. :D
    But I only have 4 pounds of ground turkey, so I'm going to have to go buy some other stuff after class today. :p
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've had it a couple of times at a friend's house. It was quite good but different than roasted. The skin and dark meat were definitely better, fried.

To minimize how much peanut oil you buy, you put the turkey in the frying pot and keep adding water till the turkey is covered. If you use a large measuring cup to keep track of how much water it took to cover the bird. Then you know how much peannut oil you need to buy.

Or, you can use a marker to mark on the outside of the pot, how high the water was in the pot without the turkey and guesstimate how much peanut oil you'll need if you know the pot's total capacity when full.
  13. Look what these guys eat instead of Turkey:
  14. Keep those ideas coming folks. I have to leave you now, but I don't want to come back to a sink full of dishes on Monday. :D

Happy Turkey Day to all who celebrate it. ;)

15. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    We had a turkey pot-pie kicked ass, all of the things we ate were some kind of pie that year.

I want to try the fried turkey, but I don't think that's happening this year.

When I'm in charge of the house, we'll have a GIANT lump of mashed potatoes shaped like turkey :D