1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THANX 2 FIRE SERVICE OFFICERS- one bass player who may've lost his gear without 'em!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rodl2005, Oct 13, 2006.

1. I know this is OFF TOPIC ...... BUT- A big thanx to the FIRE service here in TAsmania & this goes out to rest of Aus. US, to ALL fire depts worldwide!! There were BIG bushfires here yesterday & last nite-looked very scary from my work watchin it come down the valley toward me!!!:help: & was lucky it stayed on higher areas-or some of my bass gear would be gone!
    The fire services saved about 300 homes here yesterday!!! They get to each home B4 the front comes-they're INCREDIBLE!!!!!! It was 32C(approx. 95 degrees F) here & very high winds, Eucalypt trees exploding, fire jumping 100's of yards at a time!!!
    So GREAT WORK GUYS & GIRLS of the FIRE SERVICES here & great respect goes out to them all across the world. +1 if they play bass as well!!!!!:D
    ROD

2. An insiders view point.....

I would just like to add something to this. The fire fighters from the Country Fire Authority and Metropolitan Fire Brigade, who consist mostly of VOLUNTEERS, have been working 24/7 to contain these fires and also the police relevant to those areas affected by the fires. The police in one area, were evacuating residents from a small country town in Gippsland as the fire was within several hundred metres of homes, and strong winds pushing the fire at a rapid pace towards the town. The situation was very grim! While the evacuation was going on, my colleagues, were informed to assemble at the command centre then told to go home because they weren't going to be paid the overtime. What the hell happened to "duty of care"!! We are all ****ing disgusted by this and voiced our "concerns"!!
    Fortunately the fire turned away from this small town and later brought under control by the fire fighters.
    Night shift last night was rather impressive, as I was patrolling I was watching the fire fighters who are mostly volunteers, rushing around putting out small fronts and spot fires.
    Fire fighters would have to some of the most hard working people on earth. I can't imagine the conditions they are working in.

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Gotta be some of the bravest and most altruistic people on the planet. I don't have a story but just want to send max respect and thanks to them! Sure glad somebody wants that job!

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My husband was a volunteer firefighter for 25 years, until our local department went to all paid, all Academy-trained people. (Many of them were trained by my husband.) Hubby decided that, since they wouldn't let him fight fire anymore, and only answer phones, wash trucks, and clean the station, that he'd go back to drumming.

His first major fire was a chemical fire in Montgomery County, outside Houston, at age 16.

He fought brush fires, industrial fires, car fires, house fires, and even gas line fires. He's rescued animals and human beings from death. He's been on weird calls (get the 400 lb. dead man off the toilet so the paramedics can take him to the morgue) and very dangerous ones (the burning machine shop, where canisters of toxic materials blew up all around him, me listening to it on the scanner and scared to death for him).

I am very proud of him for his service, and of all the firefighters, both volunteer and paid, who risk their lives to save life, land, and property.

I'm very glad that your local volunteers were able to save so many homes...and your bass gear!

Firefighters rock!

(They also look incredibly sexy in bunker gear. Just sayin'!)

Cherie :)

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yes, firefighters do rock!

6. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeeeeaaahhhh, buddy!

There's an original rock band here in Austin composed entirely of firefighters.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    is it skunkweed?

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Nope...can't recall the name right off, but its not skunkweed. Are they firefighters, too?

Will have to go look in MySpace later...they're on my friends list, and then I can get the name.

I've met lots of musician/firefighters. One of the best blues and country keyboard players I know is a local firefighter.

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, there's a family of them here in SA.. :)

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Cops > Firefighters. :)

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Cool! I'd like to hear them!

12. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Aw, Cheeze...we love you, too. :)

But, I gotta say...bunker gear is dead sexy.

Cherie :smug:

13. Maybe, but cops get handcuffs. :D

14. Glad 2 see lotsa ppl agree w/ me here!!!!!! & BIG KUDOs go to Stanknuckle -insiders view!!! Yukl that -no overtime- thing is DISGUSTING!!!! Just give yoself & all the other firefighters a big thanx & good on YA form ME & all the MUSO's
    Rod.

15. kudos, and I have to say that the cheese v. cherie debate is "unique"

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I'm with Cherie, not v. her! (Although turnout gear doesn't do a thing for me)

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Cheez may be on to something, here. I'm pretty sure I never looked all that hot in mine. Well not the 'good' hot, anyway. Whenever I looked hot in my bunker gear it was just because I live in North Texas and it's hot here.

Working a 35 acre grass fire when it's 103 F (about 40 C) is just miserable. But we didn't lose any of the houses, and only lost one barn. :hyper:

I occasionally still volunteer, but they only ever use me on the ambulance when I do. I guess that makes sense since the only medic they have with more experience than me is now the Captain and doesn't work as a medic anymore.