Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

that 80's sound!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by air_leech, Nov 2, 2003.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey,

been wondering for a long time how to reproduce that edgey metallic 80's sound (a la' Peter Schiling's Major Tom).

I'm sure its some kind of effect as I seen various bassists producing that tone with anything from P-basses through marshall bass half stacks to Steinbergers played through GK amps.

any help will be appreciated.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    EQ.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that dead nickel plated strings, with some low frequency-limiting (but peaked in the high mids) EQ would get you pretty close on that tune. While I dig that song, the bass tone is not what I would aspire to, personally. But then again, it works for that tune.

Tom.

4. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I agree with you on that. but its still intresting to know how these synth like sounds were achived.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    To get a modern equivalent thereof, it might be fun to play through a synth pedal like the Deep Impact, and then run it through a gate with a tapered attack, which would basically make the note decay almost immediately. Hmmm... I may have to try that...

;)

Tom.

6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Having played in the 80's, i can tell you that the bass synth sounds you hear were played on...

(Take deep breath here)

Synthesizers

(exhale in disappointment here)

I agree with T.B....trying to emulate the sound on a bass guitar is way fun, and a good challenge......but am I the only one here that thinks trying to reproduce an analog keyboard synth sound with a digital effect on a stringed instrument is a little schizophrenic? :p :bassist:

That IS part of the fun though, huh? :D

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I fully agree with you an all points!

T.